Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

25 years ago...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2015, 02:10 AM

When I corresponded with Jack in the 80’s, he told me that he wanted to build a really big model of the Sprague, but he found that Mr. Bates’ plans weren’t accurate enough. So he was in the process of making new, 9 to 10 feet long drawings. He used two doors as drawing board.
He said he had photographed every inch of her machinery and he had plans to make drawings of that too. I assume that he is not very active on the digital hiway, but I am pleased to hear that he and Sandy are well. And yes, I may cross “the Pond” eventually and see everything with my own eyes, although I will have to convince my wife to change the vacation plans…
Yesterday “Treasure in the cornfield” dropped on the mat. I ordered the book after visiting the steamboat Arabia website. I had hoped to contact the the curator of the museum, but there is no contactadres. So I Googled for Greg Hawley, only to find that he died in a car accident in 2009 caused by a wreckless 19 year old driver. I was not aware of this and it took me by surprise.
Reading mr. Hawley’s book and visiting the Arabia site make me realise what an enourmous project he started and finished.
I was hoping to find information about the machinery that was salvaged and now on display, but unfortunately there is very little of that. Carl Jones send me drawings and notes of the Missouri Packet machinery that was donated to the Arabia museum. He said I could post the drawings if I want and I will do that shortly. I only found a short dark movie about the Missouri Packet engine on the internet.
I was lucky to find a good copy of the Western Rivers Steamboat Cyclopoedium on Amazon and bought it. Franz is preparing a German translation of the Western Rivers Engineroom Cyclopoedium, so I’ll wait for that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Missouri Packet0001c.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	9636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Missouri Packet0002b.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	9637