Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   I need an expert! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5318-i-need-expert.html)

Bash Naran 12-26-2014 10:57 AM

I need an expert!

Hi folks,

Happy to now be a part of this forum. I'm nowhere near experienced at steamboats or, for that matter, any sort of boating, but I am a writer and I'm writing a true-story piece and a Civil War era steamboat is crucial to my story.

I've been doing as much research as I can on the topic. I've been looking and reading about different sorts of steam engines, trying to figure out what each member of the crew did aboard, but I could use some help.

I was wondering if I can utilize one of your brains for this project whenever a steamboat related question pops up? I'd love to be able to interview you, send you pictures and ask what this/that is? You get my point.

I'll also be crawling this forum over the next few months to learn more about steamboats!

The end project is a true-story film and it would shine with your aid.

Thanks for all the help!

Marcus J. Lynn 12-26-2014 05:04 PM

I'm Not An Expert, But I Can Help

I'm no expert on this topic... though, I do have a fairly large field of knowledge on steamboating and rivers. I'd be happy to answer some questions, as I've been loving these boats my whole life, but I'll tell you now, there will likely be a question I cannot answer that could be by someone else on this huge forum. There are many former steamboat crew members, and some other writers on here- though I'm not one of them. Even though I love steamboats and rivers, have not researched enough to know types of steam engines, how this works, how that works, etc. Please reply, though, as I may be of some use for you, and would be happy to solve any of your questions for this "true-story piece" you are creating. I do, however, suggest you contact some more experienced people, like Keith Norrington, Frank X. Prudent, Bob Reynolds, Judy Patsch, and etc. I haven't been on this forum that much compared to them, and their knowledge surpasses that of mine. Last of all, you could also visit my blog River Informer to learn some more, though it offers less info than this forum.
Message me if you need anything,
ML

Bob Reynolds 12-26-2014 05:21 PM

Marcus is right, Bash. Just throw your questions up here and someone will answer. The answer will likely be right, but if it is not, we are not ashamed to come in with a correction! ;-) Good luck with your book.

Jeffrey Williams 01-05-2015 08:52 PM

I'm a Civil War Historian

I'm a Civil War historian (bona fide) and serve on the Minnesota Civil War Commemoration Task Force. Let me know if you have any questions regarding that era.