not logged in.
           forgot password?

MQ construction drawings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2015, 04:20 PM

*Models/ISLAND QUEEN bell story*
Greetings, Carol, John and Steamboating colleagues:
We have posted, discussed the ellusive bell from the last ISLAND QUEEN here more than once, but it bears repeating. Again the IQ bell touted at CVG Cincinnati Airport was 'bogus'--no two ways about that.

The late Capt. John Beatty had the contract, as Capt. Bill Judd knows, to salvage the wreck of the exploded, burned last ISLAND QUEEN at Pittsburgh, September, 1947. John had a number of fine IQ relics in his home down in Kentucky. John listened to my account of the man who wrote and phoned me. "Dale, that just ain't so. The main big bell on the top deck of the ISLAND QUEEN was totally lost in the fire. The low melting point of the bell's metal caused it to melt and dribble down in globs through the wreck as the wind that day was blowing from her stern up to the bow." The late Virginia Bennett did have a 'gong' from the IQ engine room for years at her home. There were, indeed, other relics salvaged but not any big bell. Yet, leave it to me to have some gray haired sage older than me of long memory step up to the microphone to counter all. There are times when 'history has something else on its mind.'

John Beatty also had in his den/office 'tubes' of rolled and counted U.S. currency coins from the ISLAND QUEEN's purser office that had been melted/fused together due to the terrific heat of the fire. Any of you out there remember seeing this at John's house? Again, what do I know?

PS> Mickey Frye still has a surviving braided cord whistle or bell pull from the IQ's pilothouse that had been removed for repair before the explosion and fire; thus saving it. I remember it being in near navy marlinspike weaving/braiding in red/white/blue. Are my dismal memories correct on this? 'Takes a village to tell a story.'

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.