Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Rome Childers paintings and The Prosperity (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5214-rome-childers-paintings-prosperity.html)

maggie lee 07-01-2014 05:27 PM

Rome Childers paintings and The Prosperity

I just inherited a large painting of the Prosperity which was done by Rome Childers on 12/17/34. The Prosperity was my paternal Great-Aunt's boat, among several others. Apparently Rome Childers did this painting for her and it was passed down to my grandparents to my parents and now to me. I would love to know anything else that anyone might know about Mr. Childers. All of my family members who may have known about the story behind this painting and a possible relationship between my Great-Aunt and Mr. Childers have passed away. I love the painting & have loved it since I was a child. It would make it even more special to learn the history behind it. Thanks!

Bill Judd 07-02-2014 08:14 AM

Capt. Jerome (Rome) Childers was a well known and respected towboat pilot. He lived, at least in my time, in Charleston, WV. I have two of his paintings and a real fine painting of Cincinnati and the Hatfield-Campbell Creek fleet is on display in the Mason County Library in Pt. Pleasant, WV.

The M/V Prosperity I knew was a diesel sternwheeler, built 1932 at Midland, Pa. Her size was 89 x 22 x 4. Had a Superior diesel of 400 h.p. Built for Earl Webster, sold to Capt. Tom Campbell, in 1941 to Iron City Sand & Gravel and finally in 1957 to Harry Zubik. Out of service in 1963. She was a fixture in the Pittsburgh area. Interested in the connection of your Great-Aunt.

maggie lee 07-02-2014 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=Bill Judd;33325]Capt. Jerome (Rome) Childers was a well known and respected towboat pilot. He lived, at least in my time, in Charleston, WV. I have two of his paintings and a real fine painting of Cincinnati and the Hatfield-Campbell Creek fleet is on display in the Mason County Library in Pt. Pleasant, WV.

The M/V Prosperity I knew was a diesel sternwheeler, built 1932 at Midland, Pa. Her size was 89 x 22 x 4. Had a Superior diesel of 400 h.p. Built for Earl Webster, sold to Capt. Tom Campbell, in 1941 to Iron City Sand & Gravel and finally in 1957 to Harry Zubik. Out of service in 1963. She was a fixture in the Pittsburgh area. Interested in the connection of your Great-Aunt.[/QUOTE]

Earl Webster was my Great-Uncle by marriage. I didn't know his name before but I just texted my aunt and she said that was his name. My Great-Aunt was Mildred (Mugrage) Webster. I believe they owned several other riverboats as well. I have quite a few old framed pictures of them in storage but I can't remember the names off-hand.

Did you know any of them or their boats? They both died before I was born.