Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Snyder heading home (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5186-snyder-heading-home.html)

inactive user 01 05-07-2014 02:41 PM

Snyder heading home

Through the sternline telegraph it sounds as though the W.P. Snyder, Jr. is about to or perhaps already has headed home to Marietta after many months of additional restoration efforts. From those who have seen her in person it sounds like she's all shined up like a new penny. Also fitting that two other historic inland river vessels have been tasked with getting the Snyder home safe as she's being towed by the Charles Ward built J.S. Lewis and the Nashville Bridge sternwheeler Lady Lois. Can't wait to see her in person.

Aaron

ed frazier 05-07-2014 08:35 PM

video???

It would be good if someone could video the arrival in tow by the perfect towboats.

R. Dale Flick 05-07-2014 10:25 PM

*Str. W.P. SNYDER return now 'delayed'*
Steamboating colleagues:
Two formal messages just came through here tonight relating "with regrets" the return of the St. W.P. SNYDER to her docking space at the Ohio River Museum scheduled for tomorrow at 10:00 AM has been delayed until further notice.

River conditions, uncertain currents reason for the delay by those in charge. The boat is currently docked just below the Lafayette Hotel in Marietta, Ohio. Currents, winds, opening/closing of the bridge up to the museum vital factors. More news no doubt will follow. Several functions were scheduled along with a hosted luncheon by the OHS. Unfortunate for those invited making the long trip up. That's all I heard.

R. Dale Flick
Coah Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati

Bob Reynolds 05-08-2014 10:53 AM

*NCP*
That's always teh way of things on the river. NCP=Navigational Conditions Permitting. So many things over which we have no control! As we used to say on the DQ in the 1970's, "That's steamboating!"

inactive user 02 05-08-2014 11:42 AM

In this day and age of instant gratification the river is still an anomaly.

It gets harder and harder to explain to pax what fun an unforeseen adventure can be. River delays, lock delays, traffic, mechanical situations and the like can make for a whole new surprise adventure you never saw coming.

If you can be open to the fun of the adventure and not focus on the change, it can be a very rewarding experience. For the few that still get it, the vacation is one of those rare wonderful things in life.

Even two days in Helena, AR can be fun if you are willing to open your eyes to it and take it in!

David Dewey 05-08-2014 02:05 PM

This is one reason I think DQ Pax are a different breed than the Queen of Miss. pax, most of us are there for the experience. Fog?? Choke a Stump, play cards, do puzzles, tell lies on the Texas deck, catch a nap, no biggie! TWO days in Helena?? Well. . . . Listen to Travis play "echo calliope" (if you've not been there, the calliope echos back with quite a delay), explore the antique shops (I bought a copy of "King & Queen of the River" in one there for only a couple of bucks). My biggest complaint with some of the trips was the big hurry to get to the next port so the land tours could be sold. My favorite days were the "steamboatin' days" when we would cruise the river; although I did enjoy the ice cream shops at many of the shore stops!
As I would tell folks back home, we would spend 7 hours at 800mph so we could spend 7 days at 8 mph. Miss those times & miss spinning yarns with you Travis!

inactive user 02 05-09-2014 10:09 AM

Here is a nice news story about the SNYDER and her return. Doesn't show much of the work done...but gives a very good idea of the scope of what was done. [url=http://www.thenewscenter.tv/home/headlines/Commissioners-vote-yes-to-WP-Snyder-Jr-bid--223493821.html]UPDATE: W.P. Snyder, Jr. Returns to Marietta[/url]

R. Dale Flick 05-09-2014 10:14 AM

*W.P. SNYDER 'return' Update*
Steamboating colleagues:
Word from several on-the-spot viewers came in last night and this morning RE: the continuing 'delay' of the Str. W.P. SNYDER's return up the "swift muddy Muskingum River from the Ohio River to her home docking at the Ohio River Museum continues." Fred Rutter, Capt. Fred Way's grandson, one on the spot with his camera. The boat still moored just under the hill from the Lafayette Hotel with the swing bridge closed. No doubt lots of locals milling around viewing the boat or driving on the Ohio River span to the east.

Opinions vary on the SNYDER's appearance since renovation/painting. Forensics experts with the Ohio Historical Society uncovered samples of her original paint scheme for authenticity. Hull and paddlewheel mechanical parts are now painted in a brown primer which could have been the original paint color or later dressed in conventional red. That murky semi-brown/red then lead based paint typical.

SNYDER's $50,000 paddlewheel is still bare wood with some wood softening etc. from water water immersion on the lower buckets. OHS people with research felt her wheel was not always painted. As our Alan Bates used to say, "The crew painted the boats with whatever paint they had needing to be used up when they could." Some companies had hard rules with the paint schemes used on boats then and now. Capt. Fred Way used to say, "There were always 'sailormen' [His period term] going around with scrapers, brushes, paint constantly."

Projections are for, possibly, the SNYDER to be returned to her permanent home this coming Monday if the Muskingum River pool falls within reason. And, as posted above, "Sumpthin' always happenin' on the river." Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati