Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Alive from the Levee!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM

Default Alive from the Levee!

I changed the usual title a bit, but when you've come from snow and below zero temps to sun and 71 degrees, it is ALIVE! I arrived in NOLA Sunday just a little late to catch the NATCHEZ' 11:30 trip, but I drove downriver and got some photos of her underway, utilizing the Chalmette Ferry. After riding the 2:30 trip on the roof in the glorious weather, I went to retrieve my bike and golf clubs from the BK house. That 45 minute drive to go 5 blocks reminded me why I don't come here on weekends... I opted out of the dinner cruise to unpack and end the day which started at 3:30 AM, a bit early - but only after a glass of Chardonnay while sitting poolside. It is almost time to get over there for the 11:30 trip and to see my steamboat 'grandson' Matt Dow for the first time in a couple of years, so I'll post pix tonight.
I did see Doc briefly this morning as he was trimming the vegetation around his sidewalk. He had carpel tunnel surgery a while back and is anxious to get the cast off his left arm tomorrow. This debility is allowing Matt to play the calliope when Ms.Calliope is not available.
The NATCHEZ is looking bright and shiny after her layup, with decks and the wheel painted despite the lousy weather. The renovation of the Ladies bathroom isn't done yet, but all else is 'shipshape'...