Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Steamer "Rockford", Rockford, IL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Steamer "Rockford", Rockford, IL

I’m seeking any information about the steamboat “Rockford” (not the “City of Rockford”) which cruised the Rock River in Illinois between the cities of Rockford and Oregon in the mid-19th century. According to an article in the Rockford Daily News 3/17/1859, the “Rockford” was owned by James B. Skinner and Harmon Hill was the Captain. I believe owner James B. Skinner may be my great grand-uncle James Butler Skinner, a prominent blacksmith and inventor (farm equipment) in Rockford. His father Stephen Skinner was one of the original settlers in Rockford in 1839. Finding this information will be a great asset in my research on Skinner Family History. I've also learned from a researcher at the Steamship Historical Society of America that the "Rockford" is listed in Merchant Steam Vessels of the United States 1790-1868, also known as the Lytle-Holdcamper list. The listing for her there states she was built in 1859 in Rockford, Illinois, with her home port being Galena, Illinois. She weighed 24 tons, and her registry number was 21350. She was either abandoned, or disappeared from official records, around 1869. Also RRHA Riverboat has a steamer (2nd photo) identified as the "Rockford". Any additional information that can be documented will be great appreciated.