not logged in.
           forgot password?

Golden Eagle Ships Wheel found ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-19-2013, 06:38 PM

*The 59 inches wheel diameter*
Hi, Phillip and Steamboating colleagues:
Keith promptly rose to settle the issue at his Howard Museum desk on a busy day RE: the GOLDEN EAGLE wheel with proof in documents, pictures, memories and that clinched it. I also questioned the '59 inch wheel diameter' here using my metal retractable construction tape measure. 'No way,' I opined. No hard feelings in solving these questions as is often done on Steamboats.org. Again, "...it often takes a village to tell a story" using steamboat forensics. Again and again the one classic B/W photo of the 1st ISLAND QUEEN snapped by captain/Pilot Tony Meldhahl crops up on sites like e=bay as original at a very high beginning bid. Not so. That photo has been in the public domain for years showing up in book stores hither and yon as a reprint. The old wag, "If it doesn't look right, feel right then chances are it isn't right." Beauty and value often in the eye of the beholder. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.