Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Captain Harry Louden As a Young Man. (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/5022-captain-harry-louden-young-man.html)

Shipyard Sam 08-13-2013 01:31 PM

Captain Harry Louden As a Young Man.

2 Attachment(s)
[B]Captain Harry Louden[/B] always looked the same, it seemed, for the 30, or so, years I knew him. Harry and I were related by marriage. Mrs. Louden's mother was the wife of my Great-grandpa's brother. So recently, I asked my cousin, Harry's son, Butch, for a picture of his dad as a young man and he sent these two.

Captain Louden was well-known and beloved to many members of this board, and like myself, I doubt if any others had seen pictures of him as a young man... before now.

In the group shot taken when he was the Captain of the US SCOTT, later, P. A. DENNY, that's cappy second from the left.

Keith Norrington 08-13-2013 05:49 PM

Thanks for sharing Sam! Indeed, Cappy Louden was a dear friend and river icon to many of us. It was always a joy to sit on the pilothouse bench and watch a masterful pilot at work -- and get a stand up comedy routine as an added bonus!

Mariam Edgar 08-13-2013 06:54 PM

He was my very favorite because he was so funny. I remember the night he was piloting on the Ohio, around Louisville. We were coming off the crest of very high water and we glanced off a bridge pier and struck a marina. Much later he was in Mom and Pop Tooker's cabin and he was saying, "I sunk those boats just like a torpedo". It was another of those, you had to be there moments. Another time he was being interviewed on a radio show and he was asked, "You must know and have traveled every inch of this river", which to my amazement he answered, "No" and the interviewer said, "You don't?" to which he replied, "I never spent much time on the bottom".One of a kind for sure.

Shipyard Sam 08-13-2013 10:21 PM

Terrific! Real Cap'n Louden at his best. Thanks for the funny stories.

Bob Reynolds 08-13-2013 10:42 PM

Oh, the nights we spent "cutting up" with Cappy! And Keith, remember the impromptu hymn sing one night with Capt. Louden, you, Lexie and me? It engendered applause from a passenger under the wing bridge!

Keith Norrington 08-14-2013 02:31 PM

Oh yeah, I fondly remember! Dave Tschiggfrie was part of the "pilothouse choir" too! Them wuz the days!

Lexie Palmore 08-14-2013 08:51 PM

I think that little accident occured at Madison, Indiana. It was also a shut out fog. The schedule from Cincinnati, downriver, was good timing for fog round about Madison. Not so good for the pilot on watch, however.

Keith Norrington 08-14-2013 09:24 PM

Seems to me that happened in the summer of 1972 and the DQ was headed to Kentucky Lake. I remember Cappy giving a very detailed description of the accident --- in very colorful language!

David Tschiggfrie 08-15-2013 03:47 PM

One summer after the Madison Bridge incident in 1972, I was in the pilothouse with Capt. Louden on watch and we were passing Madison. I don't recall whether or not a passenger was with us at the time, but Cappy looked at the bridge and deadpanned: "You wouldn't think this boat would fit under that Indiana shore span, but by God, I had 'er there!" We spent three days at Jeffboat making repairs that trip, with special excursions for our passengers each day. And you know, there was a fair sized group who opted to stay on the boat and "supervise" repairs. And as I recall, very few complaints from anyone.

Mariam Edgar 08-16-2013 11:52 AM

Thanks to you who knew the "bridge" incident was Madison. Betty Blake, as we all know, was a genius at marketing and using the press to great advantage. In this respect the rule was that Captain Loudon was never to give a live press interview or a print interview without me being there to "clean things up". This started when an interviewer once asked him about the boats' destination and he said, "Well I'm going to take the son of a b**** up to Kentucky Lake, turn the son of a b**** around and come home!" As all of you know, this was just the way he talked which is why he was so great but it didn't look good in the newspapers!