not logged in.
           forgot password?

Captain Harry Louden As a Young Man.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2014, 09:52 AM

*Wagner/Louden/'old' CONEY ISLAND*
Good morning Denny & Steamboating colleagues:
Great memories and picture above RE: Wagner, Louden and 'old' CONEY ISLAND with postings above adding more information.

I remember Louden well from the DELTA QUEEN and later aboard the then new MISSISSIPPI QUEEN on her initial shakedown cruise with invited guests. Admittedly, I didn't know Louden as well as all of you here, but did chat, pass the time with him when off duty. Louden, at the sticks of the MQ that first trip, brought gales of laughter [Somewhat nervous] to us up in her pilothouse with brass encrusted U.S. Coast Guard officers standing behind him looking over his shoulder. Louden, with a wry smile, twinkle in his eyes, turned and said aloud, "Hey, anybody here know what all of these switches and buttons are for?" The Coast Guard honchos seemed not amused. That followed the event when the MQ's calliope was played with jets of steam shooting up from the sink of a nearby service bar. The somewhat dour COKE BOTTLING CO. executive then in company ownership was also not amused sipping his martini.

The very last season of 'old' CONEY ISLAND had a large sign mounted on the little island in the middle of Lake Como with numbers clicking off each day down to the last day -0-. I was at the park that day in big SUNLITE POOL for the last hurrah remembering seeing/hearing the DELTA QUEEN down at the park landing.

If memory servers me now I thought the big, deadly tornadoes April, 1974 in Cincinnati blew across the Ohio River drawing up thousands of tons of water hitting, severely damaging Louden's home. Am I correct? That was a LONG time ago now.

R. Dale Flick
Northern shores of mighty Lake Michigan for the summer.