Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Ruth Ferris Scrapbook Surfaces

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Default Ruth Ferris Scrapbook Surfaces

This month (July 7) marked the 20th anniversary of the passing of Miss Ruth Ferris, my mentor and patron saint of steamboating. That same week I happened to notice an old scrapbook of steamboat pictures on EBAY, offered by a seller in Moberly, Missouri, the town where Ruth was born in 1897.

Some of the captions looked very much like Ruth's printing, so I placed a high bid on the old album. When it arrived, there was no mistake as to who had assembled it! The 56 pages were loaded with clippings and even a number of photographs, taken by Ruth, of her fifth graders touring the Str. GOLDEN EAGLE and excursion steamer CITY of ST. LOUIS, formerly the ERASTUS WELLS.

Thank you Ruth! Another of your steamboat treasures that I am proud to cherish and will pass along --- someday!

P.S. And, today, we had museum visitors from Moberly, MO!

IMAGE: Ruth Ferris and Keith at the 1979 S&D meeting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruth Ferris & Keith  S&D 1979.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	8960