Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   The NATCHEZ is enroute to Tall Stacks... (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/489-natchez-enroute-tall-stacks.html)

Judy Patsch 09-24-2006 07:04 PM

The NATCHEZ is enroute to Tall Stacks...

The NATCHEZ left the Toulouse St. Wharf at 2:15 today, Sunday the 24th, on her way up the lower Miss and the hopefully not-too-high Ohio enroute to Tall Stacks. As I was talking to Capt. Don Houghton this evening, they were passing the Bonne Carre spillway and dining on spaghetti and meatballs. There are 18 crew aboard, almost all navigation/deck/engineering. A few more will meet the boat in Cincy, and the dining room will be staffed by Cincinnati area people. Dan Back and I will also meet the boat in Cincy to volunteer in the gift shop. The tentative schedule is for an 'express' trip, with a probable stop in Louisville and arrival in Cincy on Monday Oct. 2. For those who may have missed it in the early stages of TS talk, the NATCHEZ is not stopping to do tramping trips as she does not have the crew for it. The 18 aboard represent only about half a normal crew compliment for a regular harbor cruise, let alone for big tramping crowds. The tourist industry is hanging on by a thread in NOLA, awaiting the return of the conventions next year and so most of those businesses, including New Orleans Steamboat, have not hired full staffs back yet. More on the NATCHEZ' progress as I get it... let's hope that the 10 inches of rainfall in the Ohio Valley don't raise that creek too much this week!

Bill Judd 09-24-2006 08:57 PM

Tall Stacks Fever !! I guess this is getting serious. The Natchez has departed NOLA, the Colonel is above Greenville and the Harriet Bishop is below lock #22 on the upper. The venerable J.S. Lewis is down at Meldahl Locks with 12 pieces, consisting of two COE towboats, the COE display barge, the Lady Lois, Laura J, Florence T, whistle barge and about six flats all for Tall Stacks set up. Here we go again !!!

Judy Patsch 09-24-2006 09:06 PM

Yep, now just keep your river low enough for everyone to get under the bridges and high wires! Sounds like the Lewis has quite a conglomeration of vessels - are there going to be others at the working river site, which I presume is still over on the Kentucky side?

Steve Huffman 09-25-2006 11:41 AM

Judy,
Yes, the working river exhibits will be in the Newport area, just as in '03.

Sorry to say that we will not be there with the BARBARA H this time. We had a dry-dock inspection 1 year ago, and the Coast Guard decided not to renew our Attraction Vessel certificate due to some thin hull plating. We are now trying to qualify for a federal grant to cover the $300K replating job. We should know by late October whether we get the grant or not. Assuming we get the grant, we would then need to raise half of the funds from other donations, as it is a "matching" grant. We will keep y'all posted....

Nick-Taylor 09-25-2006 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=Bill Judd;1413]The venerable J.S. Lewis is down at Meldahl Locks with 12 pieces, consisting of two COE towboats, the COE display barge, the Lady Lois, Laura J, Florence T[/QUOTE]

I saw some sternwheelers, and I think the Lady Lois and Laura J southbound at our river lot a couple of days ago. I really hope I can make it over to Newport this time. Also, the Florence T is named after my grandmother. :)

Judy Patsch 09-26-2006 04:56 AM

Another is on the way

Yesterday morning(Monday), while standing at Oneida St. awaiting the MQ's arrival, I saw our CELEBRATION BELLE in the lock heading downriver. She is now at Burlington, enroute to Tall Stacks. They are taking passengers on daylong segments as they work their way over. She'll be the largest non-steamboat there, with a capacity of 800. She was originally Kehl's MISSISSIPPI BELLE II which was used for day trips between the QuadCities and Dubuque and then was converted to a gambling boat. She was the first gambling boat to be converted back to an excursion when Schadlers purchased her, and she's done quite well here in the dinner/daytrip trade.

Bill Judd 09-26-2006 09:43 AM

It's very, very seldom that Judy errors, but on the statement of the Celebration Belle being the largest non-steamboat at Tall Stacks, hometown fever must have taken over. Three boats are bigger in size and passenger capacity. The General Jackson at 1,000, the Belle of Cincinnati at 1,000 and the Majestic at 900. All three are bigger in size also.

Judy Patsch 09-26-2006 10:55 AM

oops and double oops!!!!!

Keith Norrington 09-26-2006 11:35 AM

ALL of the boats (just like people with individual personalities) bring "special gifts" and, along with their crews, add to the festive air of TALL STACKS, but just wait 'til you see our BELLE OF LOUISVILLE! Her devoted crew has been toiling long and hard for many weeks preparing for the gala event and she is literally gleaming from stem to stern. You might need sunglasses just to look at the paddlewheel! We depart the Louisville Wharf on Sunday morning at 9:30 and I'll be tootin' the cally-ope! STEAMBOAT A'COMIN!!!!

Carmen 09-26-2006 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=Keith Norrington;1427] You might need sunglasses just to look at the paddlewheel! We depart the Louisville Wharf on Sunday morning at 9:30 and I'll be tootin' the cally-ope! Steamboat A' Comin!!![/QUOTE]

Keith,

I just broke my glasses (one of the glasses fell out of the frame). So I guess I definitely have to wear my sunglasses for this big event!

Carmen