Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Live from the AMERICAN QUEEN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 PM

Default Live from the AMERICAN QUEEN

Greetings from the Chart Room on the AQ at about mile 30 on the Ohio River. We departed Pittsburgh at 6 PM in between storms - yes, there is still rain on earth, but we don't need it on this trip! I am sitting in wonderful solitude here as we roll down the river. There are many quiet places in the evening while most everyone is at dinner or a show. I had a delightful dinner at the new River Grill, which is by the calliope bar: prime rib, potatoes, cauliflower, salad, chocolate mousse cake, 2 glasses of pinot grigio while the rest of the group was in the dining room for 2 1/2 hours. The free soda, water, beer and wine and the River Grill are absolutely the grestest improvement from my DQ days. Unfortunately the bathrobes are still in the closet but at least they don't promote those things. Actually our robes are gone, as well as the extra pillows as we maximized our space in the small inside room. Our pilothouse crew includes: Jamieson, Schultz, Boyle, and my old NATCHEZ buddy Finley Fraser. Mary Charlton is the sole riverlorian this trip.
I'm going to try to post some pictures, if this wifi is fast enough..
1) Let the processing begin. The checkin room at the Station Square Hotel was a very efficient operation - other than Alice's ID card wasn't there.
2) Only view I had from hotel showing the AQ and Heinz Field and their relative location. We are on the Monongahela looking across the city at the boat on the Allegheny.
3) We had 2 steamcoaches picking up the SSS passengers and there were a couple others at the other hotels.
By the way, all the promos talk about the Omni Wm. Penn, an opulent grand old hotel, but we were at the Sheraton Station Square. I suspect the Omni was for the suite pax, but we had the best deal - we were on the river and right by the Gateway Clipper Fleet and the SS mall and shops. We took a dinner cruise Tuesday night and had to walk all of a couple hundred yards to the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	8451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	8452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG
Views:	222