forgot password?

OT Another of the Greatest Generation passes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Location: Northern California above Lake Oroville on "Dewey Mountain"
Default OT Another of the Greatest Generation passes

Hi All,
Not normally a place to post this, but mySteamboat forum friends ARE my friends, so here goes.
My Father, Robert Dewey passed away on Jan 8. Fortunately I was there before he slipped into a coma and there when his heart stopped beating. While I'm devastated at losing him, my Mom is my (and my siblings) big worry now. We thought she was somewhat ready for this, but no one is really ready. Rather than re-write his story, I'm posting the newspaper story here (well, I wrote it, so I don't think there's any copyright issue).
He was also one of the "Fortunate ones" having been onboard the DQ from New Orleans to Memphis in '07, and my folks still talked about the great time they had on board.
Steamcerely,
David Dewey

Robert (Bob) Edward Dewey passed away on January 8, 2012 in Redding, California. He was born in Des Moines, Iowa on 1-13-1920. When he was three his family moved to Walnut Creek, California, where his mother, Elizabeth Fluegge Dewey, ran a small cafe. After he graduated from Antioch High School in 1938, he ran a Richfield Service Station in Walnut Creek. At a young adults church group he met a young woman, Lois Cabus, which began a life-long love. They were married on Aug 16, 1941.
In 1943, Bob was inducted into the US Army, where he became part of the expeditionary forces to free Europe. He landed at St. Lo, France on D-day plus four. Like many of the Greatest Generation, he seldom talked about the years in France, although he once told his family that that first night, hiding in the hedgerows, he saw the largest fireworks ever. He was promoted to Supply Sergeant, and spent the war at the 19th Reinforcement Depot south of Paris. Years later he and Lois visited France and visited with the French family that befriended him during the war.
In 1946 he and Lois joined with their high school friends Johnny & Joalice Richards and purchased Brown’s Motor Lodge in Dunsmuir. They renamed it Cave Springs in honor of the cave and mineral springs by the river below their cabins. The first years were very successful, with the post-war recovery and folks finally being able to travel. As other motels were built and folks settled down, business slowed, so Johnny Richards decided to return to his former career in telecommunications. Lois and Bob busied themselves with improving the resort and raising their family. In 1967 Bob built the new office, house and motel rooms, keeping the 1923 cabins for summer vacationers.
Bob & Lois were very active in the Dunsmuir United Methodist Church, where he served as a trustee and helped build the “new” church sanctuary. Bob also served on the Dunsmuir City Council, and also as Mayor. During this time he helped develop the current house numbering system that unified North and South Dunsmuir.
His children all agree that his greatest source of pride was his family, and he infused them with his sense of honesty, respect, and fairness. All of his children noted that they were raised in a warm, loving home with Lois and Bob at its center.
After their children grew up and left home, their oldest, Louie, brought his family to Dunsmuir and took over the operation of Cave Springs. This allowed Lois and Bob to retire and visit their family and friends, including almost two decades of winters spent house sitting on the Kona side of the Big Island, Hawaii. There Bob was able to pursue one of his personal passions, gardening, and he became a member of the Kona Orchid Club.
In 2006 Bob suffered a stroke from which he partially recovered, but it restricted their ability to travel and ended their Hawaiian winters. These last years were filled with visits with their children and grandchildren, and their grandchildren’s weddings as their extended family grew. Last summer, Bob & Lois celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary with a family gathering at Cave Springs.
Through all these times Bob continued to be the kindly guiding force for the family. He retained his sense of humor to the end. One of his last words was the question” Why is she buttering me up?” as his daughter in law gave him a back rub to help reduce some pain.
Bob was the last family member living of his generation; preceded in death by his brother Charles Dewey of Antioch, CA, and his sister Ada Enz of Orland, CA. He is survived by his wife, Lois Dewey; Sons, Louie, Steven, David; Daughter Susan; and 7 Grandchildren.
A Celebration of Life service will be held on Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. at the former First United Methodist Church on Oak Street in Dunsmuir. A pot-luck reception will follow. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Dunsmuir Botanical Gardens (PO Box 242, Dunsmuir, CA 96025) would be appreciated.

http://www.steamboats.org/forum/atta...e-dad-kite.jpg
http://www.steamboats.org/forum/atta...m-dad-deck.jpg
http://www.steamboats.org/forum/atta...in-mom-dad.jpg