Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   River Steamboats and Steamboat Men now online (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/4474-river-steamboats-steamboat-men-now-online.html)

Jim Gray 12-12-2011 09:54 AM

River Steamboats and Steamboat Men now online

Periodically I pull down my copy of "River Steamboats and Steamboat Men" for bedtime reading and still enjoy it. Recently I found it available online, but the format is a bit awkward to use. Thought I would post it here, as someone here might be able to get a .pdf for use by members.

[url=http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015004565910]HathiTrust Digital Library - River steamboats and steamboat men, a history with articles ...[/url]

Not ready to sell my signed copy of the book yet, but if I ever do, I will post it here first.

Jim Gray

Tom Jansing 12-12-2011 02:55 PM

Thank you Jim

I've found only one used copy of this book for sale; $200, a bit steep for me. So I've been looking for a digital on-line edition for months, without success. Now here it is. I'll enjoy reading it very much, thanks to you Jim.

R. Dale Flick 12-13-2011 05:45 AM

*RE: Capt. Ellis Mace's book*

Hi, Tom & Jim:
Glad to hear you found the link to Capt. Ellis Mace's book RIVER STEAMBOATS & STEAMBOAT MEN. I agree the usual asking price in used book emporiums today high to, well, high. If you have or find a copy hang on to it. For years I searched in vain until tooling around some months back searching for data on old steamboat U.S. Mail contracts when it suddenly popped up. Great information and even Capt. Fred Way kept a copy for references. Ellis Mace was a guy there at the right time, right place and got it all down. He also drew on contributions from older river personalities adding their memories. Especially interesting are Mace's insights on steamboat business practices and corporate dealings in his time--something usually ignored or passed over.

Unfortunately the book was printed on a very low grade of paper with equally poor bindings in 1944--right in war time when materials were being directed to the war effort. The Ohio River Museum, Marietta, Ohio, did have a few copies at a reasonable price but, alas, I think they are gone. Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Tom Jansing 12-13-2011 02:20 PM

Capt. Ellis Mace

1 Attachment(s)
Since we've been talking about his book, I thought I'd like to see Capt. Mace. I found this photo in the archives of the Huntington WV [I]Herald-Dispatch[/I]. Looks like a fine gentleman to me.

R. Dale Flick 12-13-2011 05:07 PM

*RE: Ellis Mace photo*

Hi, Tom,
Yep, that's Ellis Mace in one of the best photos I've ever seen. Great profile and I couldn't help noting the fine antique furniture. Capt. David Smith told me several years ago he knew/knows Mace's descendents but I can't remember where they live today. Ole Commodore Fred Laidley put a lot of stock in Mace's ability, knowledge taking suggestions and, now and then, a few carefully couched criticisms. Upon gaining control of the L&C LINE, Laidley met Ellis the first morning with gold watch in hand. "See heah,' Ellis, boys in town tell me you only one who can keep this wharfboat [Big Sandy Wharfboat] running, trim and safe--not sinking." Thus Ellis met his knew boss.

I'd assume the Copyright (C) for Mace's book has lapsed or wasn't renewed. A lot of people claim Copyright (C) but never applied, paid the fee. Printed in 1944, his project spanned years of his career adding memories, research accounts, selections from correspondents. All now gone, gone, long gone.
Cheers!

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati