not logged in.
           forgot password?

*Saugatuck's SS KEEWATIN being sold.*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sutton View Post
I remember visiting her some time back and was just in awe. The construction of her hull,the exquisite detailing of the woodwork in her cabins,and that beautiful quad in the engine room,also my one and only glimpse of hand fired coal burning scotch boilers. (I missed getting to ride the CHIEF WAWATAM so never saw it done for real). She has some sheer to say the least and probably one of the tallest stacks I have ever seen. . .thank goodness for guy wires!
Jim,

Take a trip up north to Gravenhurst, Ontario to ride the Str. SEGWUN, and you'll see a coal fired Scotch marine boiler fired the old fashion way. There's a lone fireman whom tends the fire, keeps up steam, and hauls ashes. Two fore and aft compound engines keep the old gal scootin' ascoss Lake Muskoka and the sister lakes. The engineroom when I was on her several years ago was spottless and open to any passenger that wanted to take the stairs down to see what makes the SEGWUN tick.

It's well worth the trip up to the Great North and ride this relic, and see the other boats that operate up there. Don't forget the Str. TRILLIUM operates out of Toronto during the summer, and, at least as far as I know, she is the last steam sidewheeler carrying passengers for hire in North America.