Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Pittsburgh Riverboat builder Peter Shouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Default Pittsburgh Riverboat builder Peter Shouse

After some research, I found Peter Shouse of Shousetown PA which is about 13 miles from Pittsburgh, was an associate of Nicholas Roosevelt. Peter Shouse built at least part of the steamboat called The Pennsylvania connected to the Clemens family of Mark Twain.

I also found that Pittsburgh lawyer Edwin M Stanton had a connection to both Pittsburgh boat builder Peter Shouse and Abraham Lincoln.

I have pictures of Abraham Lincoln visiting the area of Shousetown in early May 1861 with his two children named William Wallace Lincoln and Thomas Lincoln. A picture was taken by Mathew Brady and everyone is on Captain John Boyle's canal boat which was known as Boyles Ferry.

It was about this time that Mark Twain's brother received a job as secretary to the Gov of NV. I am not sure the Governor would be in Virginia City or not. Mark Twain, around this time, seems to be working for the Virginia City NV newspaper.

I am working at least some records that suggest at least some of the Clemens family was living in Pittsburgh near Kennedy Township in Allegheny County.

Benjamin P Thomas writes in his book titled STANTION that Edwin M Stanton married Ellen Hutchison who was a descendant of Meriwether Lewis. Then in the book The Lewises, the Meriwethers and their KIN, it clearly state that Mark Twain was related to Meriwether Lewis meaning Mark Twain could be related to Ellen Hutchison of the wealty Pittsburgh shipping Hutchison family. That would mean anyone in Pittsburgh related to the Pittsburgh Hutchison shipping family could look like Mark Twain in their riverboat outfit.

I am looking for experts on Mark Twain to tell me why this can't be so.