Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Its happened: MQ stuff shows up on EBAY (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/4379-its-happened-mq-stuff-shows-up-ebay.html)

Judy Patsch 10-20-2011 05:58 PM

Its happened: MQ stuff shows up on EBAY

Suzanne Martinez has found an MQ mermaid for sale on EBAY. They were both at the shipyard when Doc and I visited Aug. 2. We asked about an auction and they said there would be one, but I sure never heard anything about one. Did anyone else hear? The seller lives in Tennessee. Anyone know her? So it will be interesting to see what else appears on EBAY now.
[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280758238663&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_500wt_1104]eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices[/url]

Bill Judd 10-20-2011 07:52 PM

Judy is right, it was bound to happen. Sequatchie, TN is just a hop, skip and a jump from Hales Bar ( Haletown) on the Tenn. River and is really part of the Chattanooga area. But that's a long way from Morgan City. Maybe somebody like Ed Frazier could find out more.
Wish I had this info last week as I was down in that country. The house ought to be easy to find as I doubt that there are many six foot mermaids on the locals porch.

ed frazier 10-20-2011 07:56 PM

wierd

That is not far from Chattanooga. Actually it is only about 20 minutes. The price is so far out of my reach that I don't think I could even get a chance to see it. Woulsd be a nice piece for a museum. I wonder how it got this far north and where is the second one?

ed frazier 10-20-2011 08:07 PM

Hope to see her

I sent a message to her and hope she will respond and allow me to see her. Travis is here on weekends too so might see if her would ride with me.

Dave Morecraft 10-20-2011 08:46 PM

OMG , It's Daisy. ! As I seem to recall from years ago the mermaids nicknames were Lazy & Daisy.. Lazy was the Port side, Daisy was Starboard.
She seems to have lost the Red paint.. lol

inactive user 02 10-20-2011 08:58 PM

Got a call this evening about the poor little mermaid here at the boat. Wondering what is up with this. She is in horrid condition and for an incredible price, too! Don't think we will see a fast sell with this one! WOnder how she got to Tennessee? Where is her sister? What happened to the wheel they held over the calliope? By the way, they weren't supposed to be at the calliope. The original plan was they were supposed to be a finial on center of the top of the pilothouse. It was when they were discovered to be an air clearance problem that they were moved to the calliope.

David Dewey 10-20-2011 11:35 PM

Well, the seller makes no bones about where it came from--but how did she get it, and where's the other one?
As little respect as the final owner showed he had for our history, it does not surprise me that pieces are being scattered without any real thought as to their potential value, or historical significance.
Hmm, I wonder how much they cost when new? Someone thinks they've landed a gold mine!
S'
David D.

Keith Norrington 10-21-2011 07:28 AM

MQ Mermaid offered to Museum

The Howard Steamboat Museum was contacted twice this week about the homeless mermaid, but after consideration and consultation with board members, it was my duty as curator of collections to decline the offer. Over the years I've heard the mermaids named "Maysie & Daisy" and also "Laverne & Shirley". Although the mermaids are certainly unique items from the boat, these mythical gals from the briney deep simply don't fit our Victorian era scheme of displays at the museum! Laura Burke Howard would come back to haunt us for sure!

Judy Patsch 10-21-2011 07:30 AM

Mermaid offer

Was she asking $5000 from the museum?

R. Dale Flick 10-21-2011 08:08 AM

*RE: MQ's 'Mermaid'*

Hi, Steamboating colleagues:
Thanks to Judy's keen eye for picking up the continuing 'saga' on the pair of MQ mermaids. I quickly clicked to view the EBAY thread to see/read. Interesting...very interesting. I may have missed something along the way and ask here: What is the composition material on the mermaids? Aluminum, bronze, molded plastic etc? I agree the asking tab of $5,000 sounds like somebody is 'fishing' for a price. Again, beauty and value are often in the eye of the seller and potential buyer. Keith and the Howard Museum made a good decision in turning down the offer.

I seldom click EBAY to view unless I see a posting here or receive an E=Mail asking about the provenance of certain items offered. Recently I sent Lexie an EBAY photo and ad for pieces of china from the old PITTSBURGH & CINCINNATI PACKET CO. in dark gray/blue with the company logo. In the past several people have asked questions on items for sale only to hear they are reproductions or not worth the asking price. What's the old saying? "Possession is 9/10ths of the law." Well, yes and no until somebody challenges. For years a classic B/W photo of the 1st ISLAND QUEEN taken by Capt. Tony Meldahl has appeared on EBAY or regional antique/book stores. Interested buyers learn that photo is not original and has been circulating around for years. Same has been found for reproductions of the classic Donaldson Co. litho of the ROBT. E. LEE/NATCHEZ race with the moon gleaming, smoke/fire belching from the stacks. The present owner may have come by the charming mermaid fair and square...but? Do careful research if/when you see an appealing item offered on any web site. Copyright laws on ownership are clear that just because we purchase something doesn't mean we own it. Who knows and what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.