Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Technical detail questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2011, 04:13 PM

Default Technical detail questions

II have had a short story based on my riverboat novel accepted by an online magazine. They had questions about a couple things i said, and I wonder if you can help me answer them?

How would a sidewheeler launch from a quai in New Orleans - year 1855 if that matters? Would it simply reverse its paddleswheel and back out or would it need to be poled off the quai?

How long would a railroad trip from NO to St. Louis take in that same year, ballpark?

I managed to get my hands on the Ferris article by the way. i will scan it tomorrow to convert it to text since I can only read with text to speech, being legally blind. I was walking on air when the library let me know they had gotten it in.

Thanks for all your help!

Say I just read a novel about Sir james Brook in Borneo.. and ra steamboat was used to manueuver in the river when they fought the pirates to return him to his throne as rajah. Can't remember the exact date, but it was mid 1800s-ish.

Nan Hawthorne
hawthorne@nanhawthorne.com