Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Goldenrod Showboat Update (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/4356-goldenrod-showboat-update.html)

Jacob Medford 10-04-2011 07:12 AM

Goldenrod Showboat Update

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I am with the Historic Riverboat Preservation Association / Goldenrod Showboat. I have been reading a lot of rumors on various websites stating that the Goldenrod has been destroyed etc. Just to let everyone know, the Goldenrod is still here but is in very rough condition, and we are trying to get her restored. We have been experiencing a lot of break-ins and we have had a lot stolen at the boats current location in Kampsville. We are trying as hard as we can to move this historic boat, however there are a lot of factors that are blocking us from getting the boat moved. I check on the boat on a weekly basis and try to scare any scrappers or kids out of there, but the boat is in an isolated location and its very hard to keep her safe out there. I will try to keep everyone updated with the Goldenrod. We will have a website up hopefully this week.

Thanks,
Jacob Medford

inactive user 02 10-04-2011 01:13 PM

Looks like she has quite a starboard list. Hope someone is checking the hull for water and keeping her pumped out! Please keep us up to date with the latest news on the boat. I last saw her in 2004 and she looked bad then...but this is just shocking. We have lost enough historic vessels already...we don't need to lose another!

Steve Huffman 10-04-2011 03:42 PM

Jacob,
If you're having lots of break-ins and vandalism, you might consider a fairly low-cost security camera system. Those remote "Game" cameras that deer hunters use to take photos work pretty good. They now have infra-red LED flash, so when the camera detects motion and takes a photo at night, you don't see a blinding flash. In fact you don't see anything happen, and so a vandal doesn't know he is being photographed. Some of these cameras even have options for retrieving photos remotely, using a cell phone uplink. These cameras run about one month on 4 "D" batteries. The really good cameras, such as the Moultrie I-45, start right at $100.

Jacob Medford 10-04-2011 06:06 PM

Hull / Camera

We have looked in the hull and there is some water in it. maybe 2-3 inches or so but its only on one side of the boat. The thing is we don't have any electricity out where the boat is located.

The deer camera is a great idea. Thanks! I will look into that asap.

R. Dale Flick 10-05-2011 11:19 AM

*RE: H20 in GOLDENROD hull.*

Hi, Jacob & Steamboating colleagues:
Your update with photo on the present state of the GOLDENROD gave me a moment of pause. With 2 to 3 inches of water in the hull a serious matter. Water coming in through the hull or from above needs immediate attention leading into autmn rains, snow/ice this winter. I'm certainly no expert in any field, mind you.

I recall Alan Bates commenting once on the factor of even one inch in a flat hull if the vessel destabilizes. "Down on one side" indicates to me it may only get worse. One U.S. gallon of water = 8.34 pounds. In the UK an Imperial Gallon of water = 10 lbs. Salt water heavier as we know. The GOLDENROD water factor and security in general a top priority. Others on this web more marine savvy than me might have comments. Bill Judd, Alan Bates, Steve Huffman, Kenny Howe, Bob Reynolds etc. come to mind. Vandals up to mayhem and mischief troublesome. Is there a local police authority there who could be asked to swing by now and then on duty rounds to check? A possible night light with a timer run in from a nearby electrical possible if logistics allow. This the problem docking boats in unscured, isolated spots. What possible wash or wave action takes place from passing vessels?

As an example: MIT did studies on water injection finding that one 18 inch open/shattered porthole can inject over 3 tons + of water per minute submerged three feet down. Keep us posted and good luck in your endavors. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.

Bob Reynolds 10-05-2011 12:51 PM

Two to three inches of water might be a problem and it might not. It depends on the source, the time it takes to accumulate, etc. This amount could easily be rainwater from one or several small cracks in the deck, allowing rainwater to seep in over time. It could be a very slow weep in a cracked weld or rivet. Condensation plays a part, too. If this much water accumulates over, say, a week after being pumped dry, then a more serious problem is likely.

One way to keep her pumped out is to use a small generator with one or two submersible pumps. Of course, one has to monitor this. If another source of electricity can be found, there are sump pumps that operate with a float system to cut them off and on. Possibly the guys on the Kampsville ferry could keep an eye on her for you?

Jacob Medford 10-05-2011 10:43 PM

After talking to my buddy who is also helping with the Goldenrod we have determined that there is a lot more than 2-3 inches of water in the hull. We are working to get it pumped out asap. Thanks for all of the comments! If anyone else has any questions or concerns please post them so we can help save this boat! I'm sure there are things we have not checked on the Goldenrod seeing that we are new to boats on this scale.

Steve Huffman 10-06-2011 05:30 AM

If you discover a small leak, you can use pieces of cedar shims and oakum (oil-soaked hemp rope) as a temporary way to plug the hole. You can still get cedar shims at your local lumber yard for adjusting door jambs, but I don't know where you can get oakum these days (try Google search?). Oakum was traditionally used for "caulking" the seams of wooden hulls.

Jacob Medford 10-06-2011 08:47 AM

Once we find out what is leaking we will have to use something. I think its on the new hull. there is a lot of holes on it from rust on the deck. I will give updates as soon as we get to the boat and take a closer look

Lexie Palmore 10-06-2011 11:55 AM

Find someone locally who is an old hand at boats that size. Leak chasing can be complicated. If need be, putting the Goldenrod on dry land is not a bad option. Sure beats having it sink. Have you contemplated that possibility?