Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Cabin arches question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Default *RE: Cabin arches/ROBT. E. LEE*

Thanks, Keith, for the fine photos of the LEE cabin arches with related inormation. Yes, I remember as a teen visiting the Howard mansion when Loretta was still in residence. We wandered out to the carriage house only to be amazed at what we saw: arches, cabin doors with, if I remember, painted scenes on some panels etc. on and on and on. Like the old GREENE LINE wharfboat it was a virtual King Tut's tomb to me--but with my parents admonitions to "Look and not touch." Loretta off-handed me a box with pencils, stylus, pen once used in the Howard office across the street. Keith, Jimmy, Kenny also mentioned [Records confirm] how many companies were often subcontracted to finish the main cabins separately.

A 'shy lurker' E=Mailed RE: my comments on 'caulk' used on the boats mentioning how the hulls were caulked. I wasn't clear in my hasty posting and should have clarified the use of 'caulk'--if any was used--on the fine wood interior panels, arches, brackets, 'joinery' in the main cabin prior to the painters moving in.

Lexie's words regarding many "layers" of paint no surprise. A coat of paint ever the solution to dull, dirty cabin work from river smoke, soot. There's a story about Capt. Tom Greene checking his work crew painting inside one of the Greene boats [GORDON C. GREENE?] only to be horrified seeing them painting right over dust, dirt without washing first. Capt. Tom set that straight in an instant. Well, what do I know?

R. Dale Flick
Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River, Cincinnati.