Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Raderstoomboot DE MAJESTEIT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Default Raderstoomboot DE MAJESTEIT

Last week while in Rotterdam I had the unexpected delight of visiting the paddle steamboat DE MAJESTEIT tied up at her landing on the Maas River. Unfortunately, she was not going out anytime soon, but her gracious, mostly English speaking crew welcomed me onboard for a brief visit. Her captain gave me the royal deluxe 50 cent tour, and he mentioned that he's quite familiar with this website.

She began life as a Koln-Dusseldorf steamer on the Rhine River in 1926. After daily passenger service on the Rhine she became a stationary restaurant boat until being restored and returned to excursion service in Rotterdam.

The brass, copper, and chrome sparkles in the engineroon, where her cross compound engines fill the bulk of the space. She has a modern oil-fired Scotch marine boiler forward of the engineroom, and aft of the engines is a spotlessly clean kitchen. Up on the roof is a modern pilothouse with a six inch joy-stick to steer her by. Behind that is the streamlined stack and calliope that was built especially for her.

For more information Home or info@raderstoomboot.nl