not logged in.
           forgot password?

SS ADMIRAL dismantling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Default St. Louis Levee Scenes

Thanks, Mike, for the information about the link on YouTube. I enjoyed viewing it and also the one entitled FLOATING RESTAURANTS THAT SINK #2, which had a number of great photos of the BECKY THATCHER (formerly the Str. MISSISSIPPI) during her St. Louis days, at Marietta and of her sad and senseless demise at Pittsburgh last year.

My mentor and patron saint of steamboating, Miss Ruth Ferris, who was curator of the Midship Steamboat Museum aboard the BECKY THATCHER, told me that a pleasant routine of hers was to step out the museum door on the main deck and wave to the captain (usually Capt. Bill Streckfus or Capt. Bill Carroll) as the ADMIRAL steamed close to the BECKY on her approach to the Streckfus wharfboat to conclude her daily excursion. Ruth often took movies of river traffic from the BECKY and it's probable that there's something of the ADMIRAL in the Ruth Ferris Collection of River Life and Lore at the St. Louis Mercantile Library.

Besides the Pott Waterways Library of the St. Louis Mercantile Library, the Missouri Historical Society and St. Louis television stations all have extensive archives of film footage. Given the fact that the boat operated at St. Louis for 40 years, I'm sure that there is film of the ADMIRAL (underway) available in these places, not to mention that there likely are numerous people who rode the boat that took home movies of the big silver boat. I'll bet a published letter to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch seeking ADMIRAL film would turn up something, somehow, somewhere! Meanwhile, the Post-Dispatch has published a book entitled Rollin' on the River, loaded with photos and memorabilia of the S.S. ADMIRAL. The book is available from the newspaper website and on Ebay for $19.95 plus shipping.

Thanks again Mike!