Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Any pictures or reports on the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/4075-any-pictures-reports-mississippi-queen.html)

Judy Patsch 04-17-2011 10:20 AM

Any pictures or reports on the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN

Do our previous photo contributors have any progress photos of the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN at the shipyard in Pierre Part? Its been over a week since our sternline telegraph fed us any news on the MQ. I guess we've found a place isolated enough for even our vast network to cover!

inactive user 02 04-17-2011 11:27 AM

Judy,

I have been thinking the same exact thing. Something tells me one of us is gonna have to make a pilgrimage to find anything out. Eventually, something HAS to come out. You can't hide a boat that big...unless she isn't that big anymore.

Travis

Frank X. Prudent 04-17-2011 02:14 PM

My guess is that nothing has been done since the law suit was filed. I'd put money that the plaintiffs' attorney asked and was granted a stop work order when the case was filed, but that is just my guess.

Judy Patsch 04-17-2011 05:00 PM

And if that's the case...

she'll be tying up yet another docking space without paying, and could get kicked out of there! That artificial reef to preserve Louisiana's coastline is looking more feasible each day!

Judy Patsch 04-18-2011 10:15 AM

MQ at Belle River

2 Attachment(s)
I received 2 photos from an anonymous source - really, I don't know who it is - which show the MQ from across the waterway. The railings, a/c units, and other stuff on the roof appear to be gone, as is the port smokestack - but the mermaids remain on watch!

inactive user 02 04-18-2011 10:35 PM

Judy,

It does look like the Pilothouse windows are gone. I can't see too well around stateroom 401...but something seems amiss up there. The port stack could be laid down at this angle....but, I suspect you are right there as well. Sad as it is...please thank your correspondent and ask they keep them coming.

Travis

Frank X. Prudent 04-18-2011 11:33 PM

The gaudy sheet metal gingerbread is off of the pilothouse roof. Also it looks as if the storage shed and the original "ice cream bar" is off of the roof along with all of the railings. The flag poles are gone too.

Judy Patsch 04-19-2011 06:06 AM

Wingbridge gone too

I think the wingbridge is gone too, which is part of the altered view up front. In the pictures that Franz posted when she was first at Argosy, there was a crane reaching the roof, so it is very possible all the roof stuff is gone, and most likely the port side next to the dock has had more work done to it.

Judy Patsch 04-19-2011 09:32 AM

Another MQ pix

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another picture from our mystery correspondent. Doesn't look like anything has been done below the roof level - the pilothouse isn't visible, but that is normal.

Mark McCracken 04-19-2011 10:42 AM

Pictures I can't look at

I really appreciate Judy posting these pictures of the Mississippi Queen. There is a part of me that has trouble looking at them. The thought of the MQ returning to the United States from China as a bean can or bumper of a car. I trully have had dreams of the Julia Belle Swain and the Delta Queen meeting the same fate. It is like watching a California beach house slipping off a side of a hill into the ocean in a storm. I still hold out hope for the JBS, DQ and American Queen to get rolling again. On second thought, I will look at these pictures of the MQ, it is a warning of what might be...

Mark