Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Enroute to New Orleans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 AM

Default Enroute to New Orleans

I'm at our airport at 5AM, 2 hours prior to my AirTran flight to Atlanta and then MSY, because we have an honor flight leaving at 7AM. I'm not sure how common these are around the country, but it is such a neat idea. Local businesses fund a plane and transport WWII vets to DC for the day to tour the monuments. They leave here at 7AM and return about midnight. Each participant goes free and they each have a companion who pays. There are wheelchairs lined up, they've got food and juice up by their gate, and when they return tonight there will be a couple hundred flagwaving citizens here to welcome them home. I believe this is the 10th or 11th such flight in 2 years. Its really a neat tribute to our veterans and its amazing what accommodations they make for those with physical limitations. I'm heading to NOLA for 5 days and the forecast is amazing: 78,79 degrees and sunny all week. Sounds like boating and golfing weather. Of course I'll do a reconnaissance mission over to the Harvey Canal to see what is up with the MQ too. More later from the sunny warm south!