Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   J. Franklin Brown (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/3745-j-franklin-brown.html)

Dean Tuggle 08-21-2010 11:53 AM

J. Franklin Brown

Please pardon me if I do things incorrectly. I am new to this message board. I came upon Steamboats.org in pursuit of a means of marketing 3 charcoal sketches that I own done by J. Franklin Brown. They are of Louisville & Cincinnati/City of Louisville (dated 1968); Joe F? (dated 1968); and Robert E. Lee (dated 1969). All are framed and signed by J. Franklin Brown. I know there is some discussion of his cronies signing his art work; however, I have carefully examined all signatures, and they are all identical. This leads me to believe that they are all signed by the artist, himself.

I purchased them at an auction in Madison, IN, but they just don't work into our existing home/B&B. They are all for sale for $200 each, or $500 for all 3 prints. They can be viewed here in Aurora, IN.

Thank you for your patience with this new posting.

Shipyard Sam 09-07-2010 12:48 PM

Duke See de Money Pile ... Duke Gets Glad...

Are these the originals or the print reproduction? In other words, would they smudge if rubbed? Mine won't, so mine are the oft-reproduced reproduction prints. JFB's charming steamboat prints were reproduced in quantity, but even so, the repros commanded a hefty price (if they could get it) of about 15-25 skins apiece, maybe 10 15 years ago. If the reproductions are commanding the kind'a bucks you're saying- then I'm sitting on a money pile.

Comment?

Tom Adams 08-30-2011 11:58 AM

sketch of Joe Fowler steamboat

I have never tried this, so pardon me if I don't do this to well. I have a sketch of the steamboat Joe Fowler signed by J. Franklin Brown dated 1968. I think it is an 11x14 picture. I would like to know what it's worth.(If I should spend the money to get professionally framed) I would love to hear from any one who might know something about it. My email addr. is [email]munc894500@gmail.com[/email]

Keith Norrington 08-30-2011 06:15 PM

JFB Prints

J. Franklin Brown's prints included the BETSY ANN, JOE FOWLER, CITY OF LOUISVILLE, Streckfus excursion steamer WASHINGTON, BELLE of LOUISVILLE, DELTA QUEEN and the Madison (IN) ferry boat TRIMBLE. In the late 1960's we sold the 16" x 20" prints at the Howard Steamboat Museum for $5 each. In recent years, I have seen them, matted and framed in shops in the price range of $25 to $150 or more. I know of one antique mall which had several of these prints, very overpriced, and they remained there unsold for several years before the establishment closed.

Many of the steamboat prints were also available on quality notepaper and sold in gift shops of regional river towns. I've also seen the renderings show up, periodically, on EBAY. Mr. Brown has been deceased since the early 1970's.

Shipyard Sam 08-31-2011 10:39 AM

Duke see de tie pile... Duke gets mad.

Ben Abbott 06-07-2012 12:32 PM

J. Franklin Brown Prints

I have 5 JFB prints signed and in oak frames w/ short history of each boat. Washington, Betsy Ann, City of Louisville, Trimble and Joe Fowler. I am interested in selling them. [email]bhabbott@aol.com[/email]

Tim Frentz 10-18-2017 06:24 PM

J. Franklin Brown Prints

[QUOTE=Dean Tuggle;22821]

I purchased them at an auction in Madison, IN, but they just don't work into our existing home/B&B. They are all for sale for $200 each, or $500 for all 3 prints. They can be viewed here in Aurora, IN.

Thank you for your patience with this new posting.[/QUOTE]

I am listing 5 personalized and signed J. Franklin Brown prints soon on eBay under the user name "FRENTZS"

They will be sold between the time of this posting and mid November and I will try to come back here and post an update. -ty

Frank X. Prudent 10-19-2017 09:45 PM

There are several of J.F.B. prints currently for sale on E-Bay. The seller of those has the minimum bid at $150.00 for the unframed prints. I would be surprised if they sell at such an egregious price. Their condition appears to be less than stellar and at least one is personalized to an unknown person.

I hope that the original poster here does more research into a fair return for his artwork.