Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Summertime on the Upper Mississippi 1966

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Default TRANSIT dates

I just checked with the ultimate Kahlke scholar, Jerry Canavit. His booklet A Brief History of Ferry Service in the Quad Cities states that the TRANSIT started up in 1949 and discontinued service in 1963 when they started building the flood wall, which wiped out her landing space. The TRANSIT was 52 feet long, 36 tons, 115 horsepower. An interesting thing: her pilot was a former QUINLAN engineer, John Kerkering. I can remember hearing him coughing and hacking as he ascended the ladder to the pilothouse(sounded a lot like Howard Tate).
Dad and my sister and I rode for pleasure. We'd get off in Davenport, have a root beer at the stand at the foot of Main Street, and then catch the next return trip. But most passengers were actually using the TRANSIT for transportation. We had a big department store in Rock Island, McCabes, and there were two in Davenport: Petersens and Parkers. I remember seeing their big shopping bags resting at the ladies' feet as we made our way across the 5/8 mile wide stretch of river...
Jerry lists the existence of the Kahlke Yard as 1868-1971. The demise was due to two major things: Kahlkes refused to go to steel hulls, and the flood wall divided the property up in 1963.