Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Time for another Mystery Photo! (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/3595-time-another-mystery-photo.html)

Jon Tschiggfrie 05-19-2010 11:11 AM

Time for another Mystery Photo!

3 Attachment(s)
It's been awhile since the last one of these, so here we go: Name that boat and the photo location! (Hint: all three are the same, and bonus points if you can tell what's special about the third photo.)

Mike Woodyard 05-19-2010 11:18 AM

Delta Queen

I think its the calliope. Dont know what is different in the last photo.

inactive user 01 05-19-2010 11:22 AM

Dang it, Mike beat me to the punch. Jon did you hold your camera under the whistle to get that first one? No way to lay down up there?

Aaron

Lexie Palmore 05-19-2010 11:24 AM

My guess it's calliope parts, but not the DQ unless in recent years they installed something that looks like hog chain braces.

Mike Woodyard 05-19-2010 11:27 AM

I'm wrong

The more i look at it the more i don't think its the DQ.

inactive user 01 05-19-2010 11:28 AM

Lexie,
That's the back side of the calliope where the forward facing "Delta Queen" giant nameboard was/is......I think. The small pigtail pipe I would assume is for the gauge at the keyboard? Jonathan, care to clarify?

Aaron

inactive user 01 05-19-2010 11:29 AM

What gave it away was the scrollwork seen at the bottom corners of the first picture, then I remembered the giant nameboard at the stern, which is what all that angle iron is supporting.

inactive user 02 05-19-2010 12:27 PM

I won't comment...cause I know what they all are, where they were taken and can pretty much surmize when.

I will let someone else have the great big snickers bar!

Travis

David Dewey 05-19-2010 01:19 PM

Stab in the dark here, but I think it's the MQ Calliope, and the pressure regulator pic appears to be some temporary fix, judging by the bag pipe support. All that piping and bracing just doesn't look like the DQ to me. RATS, can't find my roof pics! I like the misspelling on the junction box warning.
S'
David D.

Jon Tschiggfrie 05-19-2010 01:47 PM

Kudos to Mike / AJ - it is... [B]The [I]Delta Queen[/I] calliope[/B]! (What else would you expect from me??)

The first photo indeed shows the steam line and regulator going back underneath the bracing that supports the gingerbread. There is a panel that swings open just above the center of the bracing to give access to the plumbing.

The second photo is the main junction box for all the solenoid valves on each whistle. Nice catch on the spelling error, David!

What makes the final photo special has to do with the angle it was shot from, as it is the only way to visually identify what's unique about that whistle. (Here's another hint: you sure wouldn't be able to tell the difference by comparing the sounds of this whistle to the others, because they are darned near identical!) Still entertaining guesses on that one!

Special thanks to Travis for not letting the cat out of the bag. :) Feel free to correct me on any of the above info...