Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   MISSISSIPPI QUEEN enroute to scrapyard as I type (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/3574-mississippi-queen-enroute-scrapyard-i-type.html)

Judy Patsch 05-11-2010 07:26 PM

MISSISSIPPI QUEEN enroute to scrapyard as I type

Capt. Steve Nicoulin called me at 6:50PM to let me hear the NATCHEZ' final whistle salute to her 1975 sister, the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN, as she was being towed downriver to Southern Scrap. The towboat pilots said they were taking her into the Algiers Lock and Canal, which is on the westbank, and Capt. Steve says Southern is in the Industrial Canal on the East Bank, so we'll see where she ends up. I watched her sail out of sight on the River Cam at 7:17 PM May 11, 2010. I am grateful to the NATCHEZ guys for letting me share this sad time with them tonight and so glad they gave the MQ a final steam salute... this is hard to take...

Fred Carmichael 05-11-2010 07:38 PM

She is S/B at Alabo St. as this is being typed. Talked to the Capt. of the M/V/ Cory Michael and he confirmed all of the about in Judy's post.
Pictures once I get them downloaded.

Fred Carmichael 05-11-2010 07:55 PM

The End

3 Attachment(s)
I took these pictures as the M.Q. was towed pass where my harbor tug is tied of. The Natchez had gone past several minuets before and I went out to wave. I looked back up river and saw the M.Q. coming down behind the Natchez.
So many mixed feelings and yet I'm glad I got to see her one more time. The bridge to bridge is alive with talk about lost history.

Judy Patsch 05-11-2010 08:13 PM

More photos coming

Thanks Fred for posting those. I just got 16 emailed to me taken by Capt. Steven Nicoulin the younger from the roof of the NATCHEZ as they caught up to the MQ. Of course I don't know how to transfer them to here, so I've sent them to Franz. Hopefully he'll be able to post them when he gets up in the morning. The end destination is Southern Scrap in the Harvey Canal - interesting sidelight, but when the DQ came up from the Panama Canal trip, she was taken back into the Harvey Canal to be put back together to go under her own power up to Cincinnati.... Both ends of life of Greene Line boats in the Harvey Canal....

inactive user 02 05-11-2010 09:16 PM

Judy,

I am totally sick over this! One could blame many people for this....I won't. We all know who they are and what happened!

She was the steamboat that really got my attention to the river. Growing up in Louisville, KY across the river from the JeffBoat shipyard where she was built, well she was all over the news from conception to her fledgling years! I was constantly hearing about her and seeing her. Seems Betty Blake was on TV or in the paper talking about her almost weekly from 1973-1976.

I never thought I'd see her fade away and disappear in my lifetime.

Just remember the great old Vic Tooker number, "On The Mississippi Queen", and her memories will live on.

"Goodbye Little Girl, Goodbye"

Travis

Judy Patsch 05-11-2010 09:41 PM

Capt. Steven's pix

3 Attachment(s)
I think I've figured out how to transfer them from my email. Note the NATCHEZ passengers taking pictures. taken by Capt. Steven Nicoulin
I'll let Franz post the rest, I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

ed frazier 05-11-2010 10:44 PM

Too Sad

To see these pics is just to sad. I have never ridden on a riverboat or a steamboat yet. The first one I ever saw in person that I can remember was the Delta Queen. The Mississippi Queen quickly became my favorite. Something about her pulled me. To see her traveling the river she doesn't look that bad. I wish I lived in or around New Orleans so I could have experience her sooner. It goes to show you just how fragile these boats are. A piece of property to be mistreated by thier owners and eventually sold for scrap. Which one is next. Or will any of the overnighters ever make it back to the rivers. Are any of the boats safe? Between the economy and falling intrest in the riverboats will any of them survive? I salute all who ever got to work on and ride the Mississippi Queen, your stories will keep her alive. She may never run the rivers but in my heat as well as yours. she will always be cruising. If you listen you can hear her whistle and colliope. Sweet sounds. "A fond kiss and then we sever. A farewell and then forever."

David Dewey 05-12-2010 12:34 AM

Buy her from the scrappers??

I've kept quiet about all this, partially out of depression, partially out of despair.
How come she was sold so quietly? Is the value so low that she's worth more to scrap than to rebuild??
OR is this part of MAL's plan to make certain no one else can bring Steamboatin' back to the rivers?
Doesn't matter what any of us thought of her design, she was more "pure steam" powered than our beloved DQ and strides ahead of the AQ.
And no one has mentioned the purchase price.
What gives????
I ask too many questions.
Steamcerely,
David D.
PS For those of you who know my family, my father is in declining health, and my mom is having memory problems. It seems another passing of time is approaching.

Dave Morecraft 05-12-2010 01:37 AM

Thanks Fred .. I know it is sad news , and none of us what to hear it .. But thanks for the pix ..:) <----

Dave Morecraft 05-12-2010 02:04 AM

Thanks Judy for the pix .. And understand what we are all going though..