Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Streckfus Str. WASHINGTON on the Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 AM

Annie Blum here. There is one last thought I want to add but I was in Marietta and it didn't get written.

Judy is quite right about the ability to stand at one end of the Admiral and see straight through to the other end. This was most evident in the pilothouse. It was exhilarating to sit on the lazy back bench or, if you were lucky, next to the pilot, especially as the boat was making her turn at the beginning of the trip.

During the process of stearing, the pilot would sometimes turn and visually check clear back to the stern. I inquired about this one time and was told that, "With a boat this long like a kite you have to look every once in a while to make sure that the stern end is going the same place the bow end is."

Bob, thank you for your nice comment and thank you all for the chance to share good memories.