Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Neat sternwheel steamer on eBay (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/3164-neat-sternwheel-steamer-ebay.html)

inactive user 01 08-15-2009 04:31 PM

Neat sternwheel steamer on eBay

For anyone in the market, except Cap'n Walnut, here's an interesting find on eBay.
[url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-30-Ft-Steamboat-Guildford-Belle_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a2cf22eeQQitemZ230364750574QQptZOtherQ5fBoats]Vintage 30 Ft Steamboat/ Guildford Belle:eBay Motors (item 230364750574 end time Aug-16-09 12:04:08 PDT)[/url]

If the link doesn't work you can search "steamboat guildford belle" and it should take you to the auction.

Very reminiscent of the Brown owned Lorena.

If anybody wins the auction I'd love a ride.

Aaron

Mathew Stage 08-15-2009 06:19 PM

I wish I had to money! I don't know how practical she would be to run tours on, but I bet she would be a head turner and a great vessel to just putter around on!

Hank Bloomer 08-16-2009 10:42 AM

Oh Wow Oh Wow! Boy how I wish I wasn't in the middle of remodeling a house. I'd go in hock for that!

Shipyard Sam 08-27-2009 11:34 AM

South on I-65

We saw that cute little paddlewheeler heading south on I-65, about half way between Louisville and E'town, last Sunday, 23 August. Course she was on a trailer. She's neat, but I'm wondering how effective that tiny wheel may be. Anyone know who that was behind the wheel of the tow vehicle, and where were they headed?

R. Dale Flick 08-27-2009 11:59 PM

*RE: GUILDFORD BELLE/'Severn' Engine.*
Steamboating colleagues:
Received a 'heads up' to open/read this posting with photos RE: GUILDFORD BELLE. Indeed, her engine is a 'Severn Compound' from the famed Lune Valley Egineering Co., Lancaster, England. The boiler also from the same works burning kersosene. No date visible on the engravings in the photo. The company lists this engine with the early dates of 1910. This engine, possibly, later.

There's much interest in the UK today for steam engineering, launches etc. with many new or restored vessels equipped with props, sidewheels--none I see with sternwheels so far other than the GUILDFORD BELLE. Photos with vessels underway show, possibly, faster speeds than imagined.

I well remember many trips on the little Str. LORENA designed, built by the late Chalres and Lorena Brown of Cincinnati. Granted she didn't make much speed but she was a beauty. Charlie, as posted here previously, used in later years a new boiler fuel distilled from peanut oil. It received much interest from commercial and academic people who studied the use making careful measurements from our University of Cincinnati. The first oil when burned smelled like peanuts--or passing a greasy spoon restaurant. In time the oil was refined with little to no smoke or discernable odor.

I questioned Charlie once aboard the LORENA what would happen underway if he fell ill. From then he wrote out and posted careful directions from A to Z how to handle her boiler and engine.

More may be viewed/learned RE: steam engines/steamboats in the UK by going to: [url]www.steamboats.orguk[/url] or the Steam Boat Association of Great Britain. I'll run some of this by family members living in Bristol, England. 'Aye, mates.'

Well, what do I know?

From the shores of northern lake Michigan,
R. Dale Flick

Shipyard Sam 08-28-2009 11:01 AM

Interesting information, but that GUILDFORD BELLE is somewhere, here, in the US of A, reachable by Interstate Highway 65, South of Louisville. Hope I'll find her tied up next to me, in Decatur, when I return to the SUN*FISH.

R. Dale Flick 08-28-2009 12:38 PM

*RE: GUILDFOR BELLE*
Hi, Shipyard & steamboating colleagues:
Yes, I noted in your initial comments seeing the GUILDFORD BELL in transit down on Highway 65 south of Louisville. What a lucky concidence. I again scanned/magnified the photos of the GB's steam engine and, as far as my bleery eyes can see, no engraved or stamped date in the cylinder head; possibly marked in another place. I've no way either of knowing if the engine we see is of 1910 vintage or later...possibly later. Lune Valley Engine Co., UK, is still no small concern. There's also a big interest and following in Australia in restoring, running vintage steam launches, yachts etc. using the Lune/Savery Compound Engine models. British engine and ship/boat builders sent engines, boilers and prefab vessels all over the world similar to DENNY BROS. with the DELTA KING/DELTA QUEEN. There are other more knowledegable minds on this web concerning the above.

The big question in my mind is the shipping costs to bring the GUILDFORD BELLE here to the U.S. No doubt by ship. I too wonder, as you, what the initial power/thrust of that small appearing wheel would be? There are keen engineering minds, and others with hands-on exprience, here like Alan Bates, 'Cap'n Walnut,' Kenny Howe, Bill Judd etc. who could elighten us.

Well, what do I know?

From chilly northern Lake Michigan,
R. Dale Flick

Lexie Palmore 08-29-2009 11:54 AM

IF it floats and runs, someone got a good deal. It sold for $15,000. Paddlewheel looks a little dinky and it probably draws a lot of water, but who cares. It would still be a lot of fun to have.

Glenn Ware 08-30-2009 04:25 PM

Guildford Belle

My brother Bill was driving the truck pulling the Guildford Belle last August 22-23 from New York to our farm in Smith County, Mississippi where we were raised and where Bill still lives. Next weekend, Bill will bring her to Spring, Texas where I live. The previous owner had already done a lot of work restoring the boat, but there remains enough to keep my friends and me busy for a few months. I also note that the seller had the boat ready for travel and gave us an excellent overview on tailoring and completion of restoration and also gave us paint and polishing supplies.

The Guildford Belle’s home base will be on Lake Conroe, Texas. My dear friend, Lonnie Riley will store the boat on his land on the lake when she is not on the water. Lonnie is the one person I talked to prior to buying the boat on E-bay. I found out about the boat being for sale less than two hours before the end of the bid. Lonnie and the rest of the guys in our group know a whole lot more about restoring boats and operating boats in general than I do. Without Lonnie and our group’s support, I would not have had the courage to undertake being an owner of a steamboat.

My brother and I do have a long history and connection to Steamboats. Our father, Captain Carroll “Rip” Ware (1912-1983) was a pilot on the Delta Queen and Mississippi Queen. Daddy’s picture is on Steamboating.org website in the group of pictures with other Delta Queen employees in the late 70’s. John Hartford was referring to our father in “Captain Ware I’m sorry, my hat is off to you, you’ve been hanging around the old cook stove with the Steam Boat Whistle Blues.”

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp1VlWpNDt0]YouTube - John Hartford - Ramblin - 13 - Steamboat Whistle Blues[/url]

Like many of our relatives, I rode on the Delta Queen and Mississippi Queen when Daddy was the pilot and that was a most treasured time for all of us.

From 1967-1971, I worked as a deckhand on towboats on the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers and also worked at the Waterways Marine Boat Store in Memphis while I was attending Mississippi State University. Since 1972 until this summer, I have made my living off of crime, working as a police officer (Mississippi and Texas), probation and correctional officer/administrator, but most of my career has been spent in a college classroom teaching criminal justice. I am officially retired tomorrow.

I was most delighted to find this forum and look forward to learning and sharing with others the rich history and joy of steamboating.

Glenn

Judy Patsch 08-30-2009 07:56 PM

Welcome!

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome Glenn to .org! Yes indeed if you go back through the threads you'll find your father mentioned many a time. There are several of us here who were privileged to work with him, or in my case be a DQ passenger on many of his trips, and we hold him in the highest regard. Here is a picture he so proudly gave to some of us back in 1979.