Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Alexander mackenzie (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/3100-alexander-mackenzie.html)

Judy Patsch 07-01-2009 08:34 AM

Alexander mackenzie

3 Attachment(s)
Today in History has the ALEXANDER MACKENZIE being sold in 1952 to Mississippi Valley Barge Line. Here are a few shots of her:
Note in the first shot her homeport of Wilmington Delaware. Obviously her company was incorporated there for tax and financial reasons, but she didn't operate out of there of course. This is seen quite often on the river. For ocean traffic, they license under what is known as a 'flag of convenience', for the same purposes. Liberia, Panama, Cyprus, Singapore, Malta, Bahamas, Vanuatu are some of the most popular flags of convenience.

Steve Huffman 07-01-2009 10:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two photos taken by Capt. Leon Ash of the ALEXANDER MACKENZIE being built at MMC, circa 1939. Leon was long-time Master of the U.S.E. IROQUOIS before going to Union Barge Line and helping them procure the JASON, when it came out the following year. Could be these photos were taken from aboard the IROQUOIS.

Judy Patsch 07-01-2009 10:59 AM

ALEXANDER'S info

Found my misplaced towboat directory: 167 x 37.5 x 8.4. Condensing engines 16s, 32s 10 ft. stroke. 2 Foster Wheeler boilers. Original crew has a couple of familiar names: Capt. A.C. Ingersoll Jr and pilot Marquette Lancaster. She worked mostly on the upper Miss and the Illinois. She was dismantled at Port Amherst WV in 1954.
The JASON was built a year later with the same specs and was the last steam sternwheel towboat built new for inland river service, according to F. Way.

Steve Huffman 07-01-2009 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also the ALEXANDER still exists today, partly dismantled as a "workshop/wharfboat". I think it's on the Illinois River near Joliet, but don't quote me! Seems like a photo of her present incarnation was in a Reflector 5 or 6 years ago(?).

Here is another photo taken a few days before Leon's photos showing the new boat on the ways, ready to be launched. (origin of photo unknown, but could be from Keith's collection).

John Fryant 07-01-2009 10:36 PM

I'm glad that I wasn't the artist who had to paint that long name on both engineroom bulkheads! Ditto for the Julius Fleischmann!

Keith Norrington 07-02-2009 07:31 AM

In 1973, aluminum siding was installed on the boiler deck of the Str. BELLE OF LOUISVILLE. The new material covered [B]STEAMER BELLE OF LOUISVILLE - PORT OF LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY[/B] across her stern and had to be relettered. Capt. Doc Hawley, an expert steamboat sign painter, undertook this task in the spring while the BELLE was in winter quarters near McAlpine Locks. I was standing down on the deck of the wharfboat RENOWN as Doc began his task, precariously perched above the paddlewheel. He looked down and said, "Damn! I wish this boat's name was J.S.!"

Lexie Palmore 07-03-2009 02:18 PM

And approximately how cold was it? Add to that the wind blowing and a chill factor. And the only part of his body that was moving was his painting hand. And the paint was probably stiff as a board. At this point in time he was probably not getting paid near enough.

Judy Patsch 07-03-2009 08:49 PM

More on the MACKENZIE, JASON/JONES

1 Attachment(s)
At dinner tonight Vi Foley pointed out that Capt. Bill Foley had worked on the ALEXANDER MACKENZIE with both Capts. Ingersoll and Marquette Lancaster.
Also, it isn't well-known that passenger boat Capt. Doc Hawley once worked on the towboat HERBERT. E. JONES(nee JASON), in order to increase his license. He went from the JONES to the DQ in the 1959 season to earn this upgrade. Coincidentally, the JONES was cooled down for the last time on Aug. 1 of that year, which is Doc's birthday.

Shipyard Sam 07-03-2009 09:36 PM

Now I realize why I did not see the last days of the HEJ... as I was on the AVALON somewhere on the Upper working our way to the Missouri River. Anyone else, on here, ever steamboated on the Missouri? It's become a pretty select club.

David Tschiggfrie 07-04-2009 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=Judy Patsch;17623]At dinner tonight Vi Foley pointed out that Capt. Bill Foley had worked on the ALEXANDER MACKENZIE with both Capts. Ingersoll and Marquette Lancaster.
Also, it isn't well-known that passenger boat Capt. Doc Hawley once worked on the towboat HERBERT. E. JONES(nee JASON), in order to increase his license. He went from the JONES to the DQ in the 1959 season to earn this upgrade. Coincidentally, the JONES was cooled down for the last time on Aug. 1 of that year, which is Doc's birthday.[/QUOTE]

Judy,

Add to the list of rivermen who worked on the MACKENZIE Capt. Walter Karnath of Winona, long-time UMR trip pilot on the DQ. And in commiseration with Lexie's lament about sign painting during inclement weather, I remember being asked one late fall afternoon to paint KEEP OFF signs on the rungs of the two ladders up to the sundeck roof outside the Master's and Chief's rooms on the DQ. At the time, we were underway SB to Winona, with a good, stiff, cold wind blowing. Cap Wagner wanted the signs painted after several passengers had "investigated" where those ladders led to. I recall seeing an inquisitive face peering up and over his shoulder toward the PH window as the man held on with one arm. And on another occasion, we heard a knock from outside the PH door which led out to the roof! Someone had climbed up the ladder unbeknownst to us and apparently thought this was the only way to gain entrance! Ah, them was the days.