not logged in.
           forgot password?

Pilots in 19th Century - Ohio River

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Default Ohio River Pilot

Carl:

Thanks so much for the information. You mentioned Jacob B. Clark who lived in Beaver County, PA in 1900.

Sorting out all of the William Clarks is going to be a challenge, but one of the sons of my William Clark was Jacob B. Clark, born ca 1846 and I just found out he was a pilot and lived in Beaver County - where he died in 1926. I'm guessing the person you mentioned was him (prior to this, the last reference I had to him was in the 1870 census in Pease Twp., Belmont County, OH).

I also recently discovered William Clark had a brother, Samuel, who was also apparently a river pilot. Samuel is listed as deceased in his mother's 1851 will. Also listed in the will was Samuel's daughter Amanda Clark. I don't know when Samuel died but I believe he is the Samuel listed in the Wheeling directory in 1839. I've been doing some digging and discovered that there were lots of Samuel Clarks, including one who was captain of the Gen. Brown and was killed when the boiler exploded in November 1838 near Helena, Arkansas (if my Samuel is the one in the 1839 directory then he evidently wasn't the one who died in the explosion).

Anyway, thanks again for the information. This provides me with some more leads.

Best regards

Paul