Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

The Great Steamboat Race - 40 Years Ago

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 PM

It wasn't the Great Steamboat Race, but it was a pleasant evening on the river nevertheless, with one genuine steamboat and a riverboat representing the Bernstein operation, which is a class act. The BoL ran the course in 1 hr 37 minutes, longer than usual owing to the additional tasks en route. Her margin over the BoC at the Clark Bridge was one minute. Mike Fitzgerald piloted the "Belle", with Pete O'Connell as roof mate. I suppose Mark Doty was master but I never did see him. Ronnie Lawrence was mate and the engineering crew was on watch in force (McCoy, Mattingly, Lewis, Coursen, and McDole).

There was a much larger crowd than I've seen in recent years, but I think they were there primarily for the party in the riverfront park rather than the boat race. The "Belle" looked to be carrying a capacity crowd at $125 a head, so that's encouraging.

If anyone is interested, I'll post my Great Steamboat Race matrix so we can reminisce and maybe add some facts to it.