Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   In Memoriam - Dr. Martin C. "Pete" Striegel (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/2961-memoriam-dr-martin-c-pete-striegel.html)

Keith Norrington 04-21-2009 08:13 AM

In Memoriam - Dr. Martin C. "Pete" Striegel

3 Attachment(s)
Dr. Martin C. "Pete" Striegel, DMD, 80, passed away on Sunday, April 19, at his Louisville residence. Pete was a dentist for 50 years and a longtime steamboat enthusiast, serving for many years on the board of the Howard Steamboat Museum (several terms as president) and also devoting many volunteer hours to the museum as a curator. Pete was a talented model builder and gifted artist who did MANY river and steamboat paintings, usually displaying several of his latest works at the annual S&D meetings, MOR S&D Chapter meetings, at the museum and in his dental office, where he had "rotating exhibits" of his art. Pete did the fine cover artwork of the Str. AMERICA for the dust jacket of the popular book on excursion steamboating, [I]Moonlite at 8:30[/I], by Capts. Alan Bates and Doc Hawley, published in 1994.

Pete is survived by his wife, Betty, daughter Dr. Clara Ann Pallares, M.D., son in law Dr. David Pallares, M.D., and two granddaughters. Visitation will be from 2:00 - 8:00 PM Wednesday at the Ratterman & Sons Funeral Home, 3800 Bardstown Road. The funeral Mass will be on Thursday at 10:00 AM at St. Bernard Catholic Church, 7500 Tangelo Drive, with burial in Calvary Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to St. Bernard Church, Hosparus of Louisville or to the Howard Steamboat Museum.

We'll miss you Pete! A long and two shorts of the whistle to your memory, and in gratitude for all you did to preserve the history of steamboating.

R. Dale Flick 04-21-2009 09:04 AM

*RE: Dr. Martin C. 'Pete' Striegel.*
Keith, many thanks for your posting RE: the passing of 'Pete' Striegel with additional information. Pete was one-of-a-kind--a real Renaissance man. His talents and dedication to the Howard Museum were extensive. This is too 'spooky' for words as I asked around about Pete at last weekend's MOR meeting in Madison. My deepest sympathy to Betty and family. If you attend the visitation would you sign my name to the registry book?

Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River.

Alan Bates 04-21-2009 09:36 AM

Pete Striegel was one of the very best steamboat artists. He steadfastly refused to sell his works, which is a loss to the river community. They combine photographic accuracy with warm humor.

Bill Judd 04-21-2009 05:20 PM

My, Oh, My how Dr. "Pete" Striegel will be missed at the S & D Annual meeting. All the members awaited his showing of his fine paintings on the Friday night mixer. He always seemed to be in a good mood, always. Dr. Striegel was a fine example of what the real S & D was all about.

Keith Norrington 04-23-2009 07:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
By kind permission of Betty Striegel, herewith are several more views of Pete Striegel's wonderful river art, although these photo, taken by yours truly, by no means do the art justice. Being longtime erudite steamboat enthusiasts, he and the late Dorothea Frye both painted steamboats with a keen eye for minute detail that other artists would easily have overlooked. Several of Pete's large paintings were on easels at the funeral home visitation yesterday and there also was an album containing photos of his numerous works of art, a lasting legacy to those who shared his passion for the river and steamboating.