Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Steam Engine & Equipment (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/2931-steam-engine-equipment.html)

Mathew Stage 04-04-2009 10:49 PM

Steam Engine & Equipment

Hello all,

I've owned the Chautauqua Belle now for three years, and unfortunately the owners before me stripped her clean of many of the authentic items that were installed on her when she first was built. I'm trying to make her more nostalgic, and being a 20 year old, I haven't had the chance in my life to visit the remaining steamboats left or create many contacts in the field of steamboats...

If any folks know where I could get ahold of vessels or equipment being decommissioned, where I could salvage and preserve there instruments it'd be great. We are also looking to upgrade her two horizontal reciprocating engines with more powerful units.

Any information helps, I try to devote as much time researching and running her, but being a full time student at NY Maritime College, time & money is tight, so hopefully you all can give me some pointers!

Lexie Palmore 04-05-2009 12:45 PM

be more specific. Describe the authentic items. What size engines does the boat have now? (Diameter and stroke)

Judy Patsch 04-05-2009 02:13 PM

Two Mat(t)hews

You need to get with the other Matthew on the board, Matt Bubba Dow. His company has more steam machinery stashed than any other I would bet. Known entities include the engines from the MISSISSIPPI III and the GEN. JOHN NEWTON, which would be too big for your boat, but who knows what else lurks in the storage sheds in New Orleans or Lake George????
[email]all3phases@hotmail.com[/email] is his address...

Mathew Stage 04-05-2009 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=Judy Patsch;16456]You need to get with the other Matthew on the board, Matt Bubba Dow. His company has more steam machinery stashed than any other I would bet. Known entities include the engines from the MISSISSIPPI III and the GEN. JOHN NEWTON, which would be too big for your boat, but who knows what else lurks in the storage sheds in New Orleans or Lake George????
[email]all3phases@hotmail.com[/email] is his address...[/QUOTE]

Thank-you Judy! Yes I went out and visited Lake George last season, I never met Matt however, I met with Mr. Dow there, he gave me more information in the hour I spent talking with him then from months of research at historical centers!

Dave Morecraft 04-05-2009 04:20 PM

MATT;;
You still need a Steam CaLLiope on that boat ,,?!?!
Best Wishes and Welcome to the board ,,....

DAVE,,,.....

Mathew Stage 04-05-2009 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=Dave Morecraft;16460]MATT;;
You still need a Steam CaLLiope on that boat ,,?!?!
Best Wishes and Welcome to the board ,,....

DAVE,,,.....[/QUOTE]

Great to hear from you Dave! I'm sorry you couldn't make it out with us last summer when the group made the trip onboard, I was looking forward to talking to you about your calliopes! Hopefully down the road you'll be able to make a trip with the group, and we can figure some more out about getting one back onboard!

Dave Morecraft 04-05-2009 04:48 PM

Thanks Matt;;
would enjoy that very much,, I need a SteamBoat fix about now ,,..LOL

Here is a U tube vid i posted ,,enjoy ,,...

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskucs_Zcz4]YouTube - Steam CaLLiope at Tall Stacks1992 ,"Herbie Head"[/url]

Dave,,,....

Mathew Stage 04-06-2009 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Lexie Palmore;16454]be more specific. Describe the authentic items. What size engines does the boat have now? (Diameter and stroke)[/QUOTE]

Lexie, I'm at school now so I'm not 100% positive on the engines, however my notes I have say they have an 8" Bore & 28" Stroke. I talked to Captain Bates, about when he designed the vessel and he said they were built by a man in Fulton, Illinois, named Harry McBride. He also gave me the fun fact of back then the chief engineer on the Belle of Louisville saw the engines and said "Now those are the right-sized engines. You can set 'em on a bench to repair 'em."

I have attached a photo of the engines that I had saved on my computer, rest assured however this isn't anything what the engines look like now, the photo was from when I first walked onto the vessel when they were planning to send her to scrap pile! Today the engine room and engines are shined up, on full display, as any of the folks who came out last season can attest to.

Matthew Dow 04-06-2009 03:13 PM

is that a Stephenson valve train linkage I see?

Mathew Stage 04-06-2009 04:50 PM

I believe that would be a Stephenson Valve "Marine" Linkage ;-) haha