Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Mary Greene Stewart (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/2923-mary-greene-stewart.html)

Bill Judd 03-30-2009 02:04 PM

Mary Greene Stewart

Today, at 9:30 a.m. Mary Greene Stewart made her final crossing. It's a sad day for the Steamboat Fraternity. To those new to our group, Mary was the daughter of Capt. Tom Greene and Letha C. Greene. Mary had worked on the Delta Queen in various positions in the 1950's and '60's. She had a world of knowledge about steamboats, but especially about the Greene Line.

Keith Norrington 03-30-2009 02:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you, Capt. Bill, for sharing the very sad news that many members of the river fraternity have been dreading. Mary Cavendish Greene Stewart, born in 1933, was a unique and gracious lady who certainly left her mark on steamboating and will be greatly missed by those of us who were privileged to know her. Mary was always most kind and pleased to "talk steamboats" and about her fascinating family. Indeed, she knew the detailed history of the Greene Line like no other and it is also our great loss that she never was able to chronicle their definitive saga. My deepest sympathy to Richard and the family. A long and loud whistle salute to Mary's memory and with much gratitude for her longtime friendship.

Photos herewith: (1) Three generations of a steamboating dynasty: Capt. Tom Greene, Capt. Mary Becker Greene and toddler Mary Cavendish Greene in the pilothouse of the Str. GORDON C. GREENE at Louisville, April, 1935. (2.) Painting of DELTA QUEEN sternwheel on cover of Greene Line 75th anniversary history booklet, researched by Richard Stewart. (3.) Judy Patsch and Mary Greene Stewart aboard the DQ at Cincinnati, May, 2001.

R. Dale Flick 03-30-2009 02:37 PM

*RE: Mary Greene-Stewart.*
Dear Steamboating colleagues:
Bill Judd phoned about the passing of Mary Greene-Stewart. The river community has lost a fine lady. Indeed, Mary worked not only on the DELTA QUEEN but in tandem with her mother, Mrs. Letha C. Greene, for a number of years. Mary had many fine ideas for the DELTA QUEEN in the department of redecorating etc. and carried those plans through. Mary was a fine vocalist with professional training in addition to being a brilliant student in her school years and later University of Cincinnati.

I asked Mary one time, "Where were you when your dad docked the DELTA QUEEN here in Cincinnati for the first time?" Mary didn't even hesitate in her answer, "Why, I was at Withrow High School that day and singing in Senior Choir--just like any other day and it was 'expected' by my parents."

"There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the habitation of the Most High." With deepest sympathy to Richard and the entire Greene family as this time.

Coal Haven Landing, Ohio River.

Jo Ann Schoen 03-30-2009 02:41 PM

I'd like to pass along my sympathy to the family of Mary Greene Stewart.

Judy Patsch 03-30-2009 03:10 PM

Mary Greene Stewart

While this news is not unexpected, it certainly is a sad day in the steamboating fraternity. Mary and Richard were certainly the chroniclers of the Greene Line history, usually allowing the credit to go elsewhere. One of my proudest steamboat artifacts is a cameo necklace of Mary B. Greene's, Mary's grandmother. I believe Mary gave it to me during a wonderful reunion in New Orleans in 1997 when she and Richard flew in to town to ride a DQ anniversary trip. Since Mary was unable to climb the stairs up to Doc's apartment, I hosted the gathering in my little apartment - never more steamboating experience in such a small space! Prior to that gathering, I took Richard and Mary to Felix' Restaurant, one of the Greenes' favorite restaurants. Mary was thrilled to experience that again. Several years later when Doc, Jane, and Mary were aboard the AQ on the UMR, I brought them over here to view my 'museum'. Mary was unable to climb those stairs, so my mother was privileged to share a long conversation with her while we were upstairs. Mary was a steamboater and true lady and truly a link between us and the old DQ.

Franz Neumeier 03-30-2009 03:33 PM

Mary is one of the most wonderful persons I ever met; words can't describe what loss it is to not having her with us anymore. Our sympathy is with Richard and the whole Greene family.

A Delta Queen whistle salute can say what words can't. So here it is for Mary: [URL]http://www.steamboats.org/audio/delta-queen-whistle.mp3[/URL]

Bill Judd 03-30-2009 04:26 PM

AMEN and AMEN. Mary surely heard that!!

Franz Neumeier 03-31-2009 01:21 AM

Obituary: MARY GREENE STEWART – RIVERBOAT FAMILY

[B]MARY GREENE STEWART – RIVERBOAT FAMILY[/B]

Mary Greene Stewart died peacefully at her riverfront farm in California, KY March 30, 2009. Mary was born in Cincinnati, Ohio on February 26, 1933 to parents Capt. Tom Greene and Letha C. Greene.

Mary lived the first two years of her life on the steamboat TOM GREENE. Mary’s life was a childhood fantasy… traveling the Ohio River on the TOM GREENE, the CHRIS GREENE, the GORDON C. GREENE and finally on the DELTA QUEEN. She had a youth that Mark Twain would have envied.

After she graduated from college she worked on the DELTA QUEEN, the steamboat which her father purchased and brought via the Panama Canal to Cincinnati from Stockton, California. As a crewmember, she served as Social Director, Assistant Purser, Shore-stop tour organizer, Gift Shop manager and Vocalist. In 1964, she met fellow crewmember Richard Stewart, who was Assistant Purser. They were married the following year. They had one son, Joel Michael Stewart.

Mary graduated from Withrow High School. She attended Wooster Presbyterian College and graduated from University of Cincinnati in 1951. She was selected as a scholar into the Phi Beta Kappa Society, considered the most prestigious college honor society in the United States.

In downtown Cincinnati, Mary and her husband owned the Captive Rainbow Stained Glass Studio. Mary managed the business while Richard concentrated his efforts in the integrated design, building and restoration of stained glass projects. In 1979 their company completely removed and faithfully restored and reinstalled the beautiful stained glass rotunda of the historic Carnegie Arts Center at 1028 Scott Boulevard in Covington, KY.

In 1988 Mary and her husband purchased a 32 acre farm on the Ohio River in California, KY. Along with their son Joel, they piece-by-piece dismantled an antebellum log house in Falmouth, KY and moved it onto their farm. There it was reassembled with all modern amenities. This was Mary’s home for 21 years.

For 50 years Mary was an active member in several local congregations of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Mary’s free time while the DELTA QUEEN was moored in various river towns was devoted to house-to-house witnessing or attending meeting at the Kingdom Halls of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Mary is survived by her husband, Richard, son Joel Michael and five grandchildren: Harlequin, Morpheus, Blaise, Roman and Sterling. Also surviving Mary are brother's Gordon C. Greene, Tom Greene II and sister Letha Jane Greene.

A Memorial will be held on [B]Friday April 3rd 6:00PM[/B]. Visitation begins at 4:30PM for those wishing to express condolences to the family.

Taylor Mill Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses
5433 Taylor Mill Rd
Taylor Mill, KY 41015

In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to: Hospice of the Bluegrass, 7388 Turfway Rd., Florence, KY 41042.

[I](The obituary has been written by Richard Stewart. I'm posting it on his behalf. Our thoughts and prayers are with Mary as well as with Richard and family.)

Please see also: [URL="http://www.steamboats.org/steamboat-river-cruise-news/steamboat-and-river-news/mary-greene-memorial.html"]Mary Greene Stewart Memorial[/URL]
[/I]

Pat Traynor 03-31-2009 10:06 AM

Another great loss in the Riverboat Family...........Mary was a very special person. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the Greene's, and to Richard.

Pat Traynor

Don Sanders 04-01-2009 07:18 PM

Mary, Richard, and I worked together on the DELTA QUEEN in 1965; some of my happiest days on the river, and I am saddened to hear of her passing. My deepest sympathy to Richard, Joel, and all her family and dearest friends.

[I]".... completely removed and faithfully restored and reinstalled the beautiful stained glass rotunda of the historic Carnegie Arts Center at 1028 Scott Boulevard in Covington, KY.[/I]

Strangely enough, the day before Mary died, I attended a play in the theatre of the Carnegie AC, and after the show, made a special effort to stand beneath that very [I]beautiful stained glass rotunda[/I] and admired the workmanship in the restoration of the art glass and wondered who had done such a excellent job. Now I know, and am especially delighted to learn it was the combined work of Mary and Richard.