Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Of Satellite Views and Oxbows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Default Of Satellite Views and Oxbows

Saw the unanswered thread from 2/10 about the steamboat-ish house near Shreveport. Though I've got about the least acquaintance with that world of muddy water of anyone on this board, I do have a fast internet connection, so seemed to me I ought to be able to fly with Google maps and find it (looking for that railroad bridge, for starters).

Well, no such luck, but those satellite maps are an eye-opener for a guy from tidewater. The dozens, no, hundreds of layers of oxbows, and dead oxbows, and ghosts of oxbows is fascinating. I'm sure this is old hat to most of you, but I am darned impressed. Look at this stretch just above Shreveport:

shreveport, la - Google Maps

(Hope that link is linkable, will try to put down at the bottom, too, just in case.)

Golly. And using Google to "fly" along the river makes the uninitiated wonder how you can ever keep the channel location in your head among all the odd paths the river takes.

For those of you who do this routinely without fetching up on bars, my admiration has no bounds.

Rog
(on the tidal Delaware where the channel doesn't move ... though a bulker did run aground out here just a couple of weeks ago, so I guess danger lurks everywhere)