Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Care to add to a Ways Addendum?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Care to add to a Ways Addendum?

Only recently have I begun to delve into the depths of the two steamboat directories authored by Capt. Way, and my appreciation for the thoroughness of his work has slowly transformed into outright awe.

As such, what I pose today is done in the spirit of humility due to my relative inexperience (read: I know nothing) to this giant of steamboating history. Below are the boats that I've come across that I believe should be in one or the other directory.

I post these entries for your perusal, to refute them, add to them, or otherwise comment. In addition, please submit your own entries should you have any. Maybe it's time to publish a small "addendum" of our own!

0073A ADMIRAL JOE FOWLER SW ex, first ran October 2, 1971 at Walt Disney World; named for a retired Navy admiral and Disney executive; damaged during overhaul in the fall of 1980 and dismantled, with varying accounts of this accident; the steam engines are now on the Walt Disney World Railroad Engine #4, "Roy E. Disney"
0244A AMERICAN stw p, appeared at Vicksburg, MS with CITY OF KNOXVILLE (1090A, see below)
0987A CHAUTAUQUA BELLE stw ex, designed by Capt. Alan L. Bates; runs at Chautauqua Lake, Mayville, NY, operated by U.S. Steam Lines, Ltd, Matt and Paul Stage owners
1090A CITY OF KNOXVILLE stw p; appeared at Vicksburg, MS with AMERICAN (0244A, see above)
1901A ETOWAH BILL stw p, U.S. Mail steamer, port of Rome, GA; ran on Coosa River; very odd configuration with single stack and pilothouse foward of boiler deck cabin