Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

DQ's Officer Quarters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 PM

Default DQ's Officer Quarters

This was mentioned in the great MQ memories thread, which is getting pretty long, so I've started a specific DQ one.
Before the bathroomless rooms were torn out and combined with others, and when there was a Skid Row on the Cabin Deck - the Officers Quarters were on the Forward Sundeck. Here is the diagram and a picture of the doorway leading into the area. Today that doorway is part of a passenger room, among other changes. If you look closely at the picture, you can see the MATE nameplate on the first door, to which Bob and Mel were referring. This is on the starboard side. To the right of the entrance was the Master's room. On the port side the corresponding room was the Chief Engineer's. Forward of these two rooms were the showers and toilets, a location wellknown on occasion in the Texas Lounge directly beneath. You can see in the deck plan the stairs which went up into the pilothouse - the only entrance, no exterior steps in those days. The big square thing in the middle of the hallway is the smokestack. Aft are 8 rooms: 2 for pilots and other assorted officers. Ted was referring to one of these as his residence while Purser. I recall Vic Tooker being up there after Skid Row disappeared.
One other interesting item in the deck plan: note the MEN and WOMEN bathrooms directly aft of the OQ - those were still there on my first trip in 1973. On my second trip in 1974 I was in room 314, which had been the MEN public bathroom the previous year - and it was the smallest of the cheapest rooms, another story for another time on that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0-1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2588   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2589