Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

The Captains Short-Upper Mississippi, 1855-1940

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2008, 08:41 PM

Default The Captains Short-Upper Mississippi, 1855-1940

Hi - I'm Dianne and just signed up here.

I've got the genealogy bug and am researching my father's side of the family. Their surname (and my maiden name) is Short. I have stacks of steamboat photos (and charts, logs, etc.) that have been passed down to me, but pictures of the men themselves are scarce. Does anyone know where I might find images of steamboat captains? I believe there was a pilots association on the Upper Mississippi. Would they have taken photos and where would those records be now?

I'm researching brothers: George Lyman Short, Allen M. Short, Ira H. Short, Jerome E. Short, and Charles M. Short; also their sons Clinton Short, Harry Short, Lee Musser Short, Volney Van Sant Short, etc...all pilots, captains and/or owners of Upper Mississippi steamboats - both excursion and work vessels.

Any and all ideas to point me in the right direction for photos very much appreciated.