Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   What is it? (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/2427-what.html)

Judy Patsch 08-15-2008 11:54 AM

What is it?

1 Attachment(s)
As Procrastinator Patsch is just beginning to clean up the establishment in preparation for the arrival Monday of the distinguished guests for our TWILIGHT cruise, I unearthed this steamboat souvenir, given to me years ago by Keith Norrington...we both acquired it legally... anyway, does anyone want to speculate what it is, or most assuredly someone in this learned group can state without a doubt what it is...

inactive user 02 08-15-2008 12:08 PM

Judy,

That is a worn out leather pad from the brakes on the steam steering rig on the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE.

There are two of them and they are mounted on 2x4's under the pilothouse. They operate by pedals on either side of the wheel and by stepping on the pedal, they clamp just like modern car disc brakes on the pilotwheel. The grooves you see are the facing of the wheel (or an impression of one burned into the pad) where it has cut through the leather.

From the cut on the top of the pad...looks like the one from the front of the wheel...cause on the back it is a perfect rectangle.

Somewhere in my collectibles I have at least one if not more of these.

~Travis~

Alan Bates 08-15-2008 02:00 PM

You got that one right, Travis.
When the Belle was restored by Jefferson County the pilotwheel circles were worn paper thin by those brake pads. We were obliged to replace the circle. A fine old African-American cabinet-maker did a perfect job. I took him to the pilothouse, gave him a stack of Rock Maple boards from the Tell City Chair Company (courtesy of Bert Fenn) and left him alone in the pilothouse. Two or three days later the pilotwheel was rebuilt and tightened. Those worn wheel segments are collectors' items today. There were only sixteen of them.
The brakes are designed to clamp when the tiller bars are centered. One pilot didn't like that system, preferring to tramp on the brake and ordered the rig slacked off. Since then all who steer the Belle are obliged to step on the pedals to hold the wheel, where is was automatic. I regard it as a pain in the patoot!

Keith Norrington 08-15-2008 02:24 PM

The omniscient Travis wins an extra large box of extra salty (Doc Hawley recipe) excursion boat popcorn!!!!!!!!!!

Judy Patsch 08-15-2008 02:33 PM

I was predicting Alan would be the first correct respondent - didn't figure on Flying Fingers TV to be online first!!!! Let's see, that took all of 14 minutes to get an answer posted, what a learned group we have!!!

Judy Patsch 08-15-2008 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, let's try one more and see if it takes more than 14 minutes to identify. This is not a WHAT but a WHOSE? Who was the original owner/wearer of this cameo necklace I was gifted??? (The very astute will also see that I'm stalling about getting this place cleaned up by doing this posting!)

inactive user 02 08-15-2008 03:50 PM

Judy,

I am lost on this one....however..lets examine the facts. You were gifted it...so someone gave it to you to preserve, one can surmise. Having attended your fine presentation at the Howard Museum one could surmise as well it came from one of the Strecikfi. That would be too easy, and the school teacher in you wouldn't rest tonight if any of us got it that easy.

I have looked at a few pictures of Mary Greene and have tried to see if she were wearing such an item and in a few pictures she has either a broach on or something hanging about her neck...but nothing consistant through the pictures. So I am gonna rule her out.

It could be one of the ladies from the Leyhe family who ran the Eagle Packet Company. I just don't feel their family were around and prominant enough in the river fan circles to have passed this on this way. So I will move on from them.

I am gonna take a stab in the dark and go back to the Streckfus family only because of your predeliction towards collectibles form ther reign on the rivers and say it came from one of 4 people....

Either Sharon, Elizabeth, Lilly, or Donna Streckfus.

If I get this I will NOT accept the title of Jessica Fletcher of the Board...even thoughtit in retrospect sounded like something that character from theTV show Murder She Wrote would say!

~Travis~

Judy Patsch 08-15-2008 04:50 PM

Good thinking, but wrong! Not a Streckfus...

Alan Bates 08-16-2008 04:41 AM

Here is a direct and dead-accurate answer that will eliminate one possibility. I didn't give it to you! One down, four billion to go.

Paul Penta 08-16-2008 07:19 AM

I'm thinking Jane Greene.