Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Past DQ musician Johnny Powers passes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 PM

Default Past DQ musician Johnny Powers passes.

I don't know if anyone today recalls bassist Johnny Powers but he passed away last week in Merritt Island, FL, age 84. He played on the DQ in the late 60's-early '70's, most likely along with his fellow musician from Cocoa Beach, Johhny Ramon but perhaps not in every instance were they together. In Cocoa Beach, Johhny Powers was a fixture in the jazz scene from the early '60's until very recently. He played with some big names over the years such as Lawrence Welk, Soupy Sales Show, Mel Torme, Ray Terry and a trio he had with Johnny Powers called The Town Criers in Cocoa Beach. Personally, he was a friend and once repaired my bass. He also played violin. There were times in the mid and late '60's when I substituted for him in CB.

The last time I saw him was about two years ago in Cocoa Beach and he asked me to sit in for a set. Reluctantly, I did and it was a hoot but he was so talented that I was glad to turn it back to him so I could listen.

They are having a celebration of his life on April 6 at Heidi's Jazz Club in CB.

-Jim Herron