Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   DQ history and the continuing education... (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/2117-dq-history-continuing-education.html)

Bruno Krause 03-23-2008 02:34 PM

DQ history and the continuing education...

2 Attachment(s)
I've been studying older postcards, older pictures of the Delta Queen to try and grasp the time line by what I see in the pictures. These four pictures interest me in the unique use of color at the aft end of the boat. Could somebody here point me to the correct years for these pictures if my guesses are wrong? Thanks!

The first two pictures are basically the same time period? Pre-calliope, natural material wheel, WHITE ! signboard...I'm thinking mid 1950's...say 1956?

It was about this time, 1958, that I visited the DQ as a youngster. And I vividly remember the wheel not being red...

Bruno Krause 03-23-2008 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now these next two are a bit of a surprise to me. The first with a black (black, really?) splashboard, but with a hint of a calliope showing? I'm sorry the picture resolution is so bad, it's from a postcard, maybe somebody has the postcard...I'm thinking 1960, the first calliope year...

The second picture below looks really recent but my guess is 1961 or '62, and the discovery of the right shade of red paint was a stroke of genius. Notice no dual portholes in the splashboard, simplier script on the signboard, no calliope fru-fru, still white doors and windows...

Shipyard Sam 03-23-2008 04:33 PM

Bruno and Steamboat Buds,

As I have suggested before, it would be both interesting and beneficial to compile a series of DELTA QUEEN photos, prints, etc., in chronological order, that would document the boat as she looked year by year after coming up the Mississippi after her epic journey from the west coast and into the present. Some of our California friends might want to do the same for the Golden State years.

Bob Reynolds 03-23-2008 05:46 PM

Good idea, Sam.

Bruno, as to your questions, I will venture a guess on only one, due to my limited knowledge compared with others on this board: The last one is at Memphis, my home town. I can fairly well date it by the surroundings I see, and I would place the year from 1969 to 1971.

I am thinking the black splashboard may have been a Capt. Wagner thing...I wish Doc was on here so he could tell us for sure. There is a well-circulated picture of the DQ tied up at Lambert Landing, St. Paul, with the black splashboard, and for some reason I'm thinking that was right after Doc & Cap went over there.

Paul Penta 03-23-2008 06:19 PM

Bruno,

That looks like a 1955 or '56 Cadillac there on the landing. And the landing itself looks like St Louis or the old Memphis downtown landing we used to use.

Paul

Bruno Krause 03-23-2008 06:50 PM

Bob, thanks for your input on the last picture. I'm still not sure about '69 to '71 because didn't the dual port hole (Texas deck) windows in a brand new splashboard, a spashboard with integral script writing around those two portholes appear in 1968? That new splashboard is in the famous picture with the blue '72 Nova which we all know was shot in summer '71. I think the calliope backdrop was up by 1968, too. [I]But I'm not positive...[/I]

You know I also remember a picture of the DQ posted here a while back...Marietta landing, with a black spashboard, or am I all wet here. I think everybody had trouble dating that one too.

Gawd, I love this stuff...Show of hands for Sam's idea, you betcha...

Bob Reynolds 03-23-2008 06:52 PM

Good sleuthing on the Caddy, Paul, but that landing is Evansville, IN.

Bob Reynolds 03-23-2008 06:58 PM

Bruno, the calliope frou-frou, splashboard portholes with new lettering, etc. was 1970 at the [B][I]earliest[/I][/B]; I'm thinking '71. Shipyard Sam and/or Jim Blum can set us straight for sure...

Paul Penta 03-23-2008 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=Bob Reynolds;10150]Good sleuthing on the Caddy, Paul, but that landing is Evansville, IN.[/QUOTE]

You mean there are more steep, cobblestone landings than STL and MEM?
Sheesh!

:O)

Paul

Jim Reising 03-23-2008 09:01 PM

My guesses...picture 1....1957, notice the smoke stack base was red, white and blue, a Paul Underwood idea; picture 2 ......1956, definetly taken at Evansville; picture 3 .....1960 and by the way the splash board was not black, it was Greene Line green; picture 4 ....1962/3. Those are guesses. Like Dale says, what do I know.
Question..what year were the wing bridges moved from being behind the pilothouse to coming out the side of the pilot house? (mid 60's ????) In all these pictures it looks like the wing bridges were still behind the pilot house.