Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Boat names/ River familes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2010, 10:53 PM

I spend most of my time in that “way back” time period. My ancestors sold boats to the Kountz Line and were charted by Kountz to travel to the upper Missouri. I believe the Kountz and Kouns are two different families.

At the beginning of the Civil War, Capt William J Kountz of Pittsburgh was appointed by Sec or War Cameron, also of PA, to serve as commodore of river transportation. Kountz tried to run the operation like a steamboat business offering cost saving suggestions on fuel, the purchase of steamboats, etc. He tried to work with rivermen who were already unhappy with him and their government pay that was far below their pre-war level. Gen Grant was trying to move an army. That explains the difficulties between Gen Grant and Capt William J Kountz. Grant arrested Kountz on Jan 14, 1862. Kountz made formal accusations against Grant in a letter to Gen Halleck at HQ in St Louis hoping to have Grant replaced. (Men of Fire by Jack Hurst (2007) focuses on Grant opening the TN and Cumberland rivers.)

After the war, Kountz and Coulson lines, both out of Pittsburgh, were formidable competitors in the Missouri River trade.

I’ve not come across the Kouns captains in the Missouri River commerce research. From Ways directory some of their boats plied the Mississippi and Red River in LA. Without spending a lot of time and on that thin thread of evidence, I believe the Kountz and Kouns are not connected.

That said almost every boat in the Poe family of Georgetown was based on a daughter’s name:

Owmer/Capt Packet name
Jacob Poe Jacob Poe
Thomas W Poe Clara Poe
Amelia Poe
Mary E Poe
Adam Poe Ella
George W Ebert Mollie Ebert
Jackman T Stockdale Ida Stockdale
Katie Stockdale

Fran Nash