Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Evolution of the Str. IDLEWILD / AVALON

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM

Location: On the "Beautiful Ohio" at New Albany, Indiana, opposite Louisville, Kentucky
Default Evolution of the Str. IDLEWILD / AVALON

Capt. Doc Hawley sent me a surprise packet this week containing copies of some most interesting drawings he's done of how the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE has "evolved" through her building in 1914 up through 1953. Doc's drawings contain all sorts of wonderfully detailed comments about such things as when the decks were lined with decoration lights (1928) old benches purchased from the Str. ISLAND QUEEN (1934) and an auxiliary boiler from the Str. BETSY ANN being added in 1930.

I've encouraged Doc for some time to put all of these details down on paper and he said he's finally done it and is glad he has, laughingly saying that -- just in case he gets hit by the newly rejuvenated New Orleans street cars -- all of this information won't be forever lost and will be of assistance to historians, river fans and model builders. Doc wants these details to be made available to ALL who are interested, so if anybody else out there would like copies, send me your mailing address and I'll be more than happy to forward the information to you.

Don't forget that on February 22nd, Capt. Doc is speaking at Rock Island, Illinois for the annual Henry Farney dinner. Rock Island is home of Judy Patsch ("Miss Streckfus") and her Middle Upper Missisippi River Museum, which will be open as part of the day's festivities. The local newspaper ran a big article last week about the upcoming program, replete with a big photo, supplied by Judy, of Doc in full uniform with his megaphone, standing next to the roof bell on the Str. NATCHEZ.

Last edited by Keith Norrington; 02-04-2008 at 01:12 PM.