Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Hines, etc. (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/1661-hines-etc.html)

D. M. Smith 08-10-2007 07:41 PM

Hines, etc.

I would like to hear from anyone who has information about the Hines Co. towing gasoline for the Gulf Oil Corp. Also, does anyone know what company towed for Gulf before Hines took over around 1944? Especially interested in history concerning Gulf terminals at Camp Nelson and Frankfort, KY. Thanks!

Bob Reynolds 08-11-2007 07:00 PM

David, I know that Gulf Oil had at least one of their own boats, the GULF INLANDER. It was renamed the LUKE GLADDERS at one time and I THINK is now the MARY LYNN, owned by Steel City Marine Transport.

Gulf also had their own ships in the coast-wise trade running between various U.S. ports on both the Gulf and East Coasts. Some of their navigation officers also held first-class pilotage on the Mississippi River up to Baton Rouge, allowing them to take ships up the river without taking a pilot aboard, much to the chagrin of the ship pilots' associations! Capt.Doc Hawley can shed some light on that one. Their aging single skin offshore fleet, coupled with Jones Act manning and inspection laws brought an end to thier coast-wise operations in the early 1980's.

I seem to also remember that Hougland worked towing product for Gulf Oil on the Ohio and Cumberland Rivers; maybe the Tennessee also?

I would love to have a history of Hines, Inc. (which is what I hope you are working on for the REFLECTOR!). One time Fred Way had a story of Duncan Hines (the man) and how the cake mix got its name, the same as the boat that Hines owned. One and the same person, and I will not spoil the story for you if you intend to repeat it in a REFLECTOR article.

Bill Judd 08-11-2007 08:55 PM

Hines

Capt. Bob This Smith is not the S & D Reflector editor. Our David is David K. Smith. However I really like the thought of a Hines history for the Reflector and I will persue that with our noble Editor Smith. Now Mr. D. M Smith, I saw your previous post with Carmen's answer about me and some old posts on the John J. Kelley. As to the Gulf operation on the Kentucky River, as the old boy said " been there and done that" E-mail me at, Judd @ fuse.net.

Bob Reynolds 08-11-2007 09:49 PM

Oh, come on now, Capt. Bill -- you don't think your gonna get off THAT easy, do you?!? I for one would love to hear about that operation on that small stream. Let us all hear your story(s), please!

I stand corrected on the misunderstanding of Smiths.

D. M. Smith 08-13-2007 06:26 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I am also David Smith, but I am only a retired truck driver and AMATEUR historian. Cap'n Bill, I will e-mail you in the near future Thanks!!!

Bill Judd 08-13-2007 07:56 AM

Hines

Welcome aboard David M. Smith. There is no such thing as " only a retired truck driver". Like those of us in the river business, trucking is a vital part of the total transportation scheme. Trucks play a major role in handling tonnage to and from our barges. As to the "amatuer historian", well welcome to the club. Now then Capt. Bob Reynolds, if the tales gets real good as to Gulf, Hines and other Kentucky River rascals it will get posted, truth, lies and all.

D. M. Smith 08-14-2007 05:05 PM

Cap'n Bill, I just got back home from a trip and read your comments. I haul cars part-time for some dealers in the Lexington, KY area. Makes me a little pocket money and gets me out of the house. I hauled gasoline for 32 years, and hauled out of the Gulf terminal at Frankfort in it's last days. I would like to learn all I can about the Gulf gasoline towing operation on the Kentucky river. Some men I knew at Gulf in Frankfort were Max Price, Howard Tracy, Gene Vanderpool, C.C.White, Bill Fitzpatrick, Richard Barkley, Bob Davison and Joel Hamilton. Tracey, Vanderpool, and Hamilton were originally from the Camp Nelson terminal. Bob Davison went to Louisville when Frankfort closed and worked with Ed Nunemaker. My father started as a driver with Gulf at Camp Nelson in 1935. When Camp Nelson closed, he was assigned to Frankfort, then to Louisville when Frankfort closed. He retired at Louisville in 1970. I also hauled gasoline out of the Louisville terminal for many years. My cousin, George W. Dean, is involved with the historic activities at Camp Nelson and High Bridge. Together, we have been collecting information and pictures from both locations. We, as well as everyone else on this site, would really enjoy hearing your stories. Also,we really need to find any pictures anyone has of the Gulf Terminal at Camp Nelson. Best regards, David M. Smith.

Edward Ray 08-21-2007 12:32 PM

Mr. Smith

Your recent posting stirred up great memories about the Hines Inc. out of Bowling Green, Kentucky as my father Capt. Henry H. (Jack) Ray did work for them for many years, including their Kentucky River operation towing for Gulf Oil Company from North Bend, Ohio to Camp Nelson/Frankfort, Kentucky. While I personally have never made the trip, my day operated both the M/V John J. Kelly, a sternwheeler and later the M/V Producer II a single screw. They normally towed a three (3) small barges (approximately 30 x130) tow, which I believe belonged to Gulf and were distinctively noticeable for each had a "tankerman's" house on each barge.
My dad first became associated with the Hines organization back about the time they were operating the M/V New Hanover towing on the Green and Barren Rivers to Bowling Green. At the time he was operating the M/V Jane Rhea for the Evansville Veneer and Lumber Company and would at times contract tow for them. My Dad grew up on the Green Rive, being born in Rumsey Kentucky and was one of the best Green River ever to navigate those waters. Later he would work for Hines full time both as a pilot/Capt and an Engineer on all Hines early boats including the M/V Hines Zephyr, which was formally the M/V Ivan Harris (another interesting story).
The Kentucky River was very similar to the Green/Barren as the locks were very small and had to be operated (gates) by hand. With multiple barge tow, all hands had to turn out for the locking both to open the gates and pull the two out the lock manually. Try that on a cold and snowy night.
So I hope I have added some color and background to the history you seek.
Any specific question I will be glad to attempt.

Best Regards,
Ed Ray
Dublin, Ohio

Edward Ray 08-21-2007 12:40 PM

Bill

Would have happen to know my father Capt. Henry H. (Jack) Ray who also worked on the John J. Kelly (I have a great picture you might be interested in seeing) on the Kentucky River.

Ed Ray
Dublin Ohio

D. M. Smith 08-21-2007 06:20 PM

Mr. Ray, I just read your post. Unfortunately, I am just leaving for a trip, so I will have to write more when I return Thursday. Was your dad the big man who just wore pants and a t-shirt in the coldest weather? I'm sorry I can't recall any of the Hines employees names. I was at Frankfort the night one of the Hines men was returning from town and fell in the river and drowned. I was probably about 14 years old at the time. I was there with my father. More later. Best regards, David M. Smith.