Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   "Footlights Afloat" Program at Howard Steamboat Museum (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/1608-footlights-afloat-program-howard-steamboat-museum.html)

Keith Norrington 07-25-2007 07:16 AM

"Footlights Afloat" Program at Howard Steamboat Museum

3 Attachment(s)
The calliope is calling you! One month from today, on Saturday, August 25th, river family member Pat Carr will present[B] "Footlights Afloat"[/B], a dandy program recounting her experiences of living and working aboard the SHOWBOAT MAJESTIC while a student at Hiram College in 1958. At age 19, Pat had the foresight to take lots of pictures and even home movies, which will be included in her presentation, as well as delightful and humorous stories as only she can convey them! The curtain goes up at 3:00 PM EDT at the Howard Steamboat Museum, 1101 East Market Street, Jeffersonville, Indiana. This is the third offering in my "River Ramblings" series. For further, detailed information, visit the museum website at [url]www.steamboatmuseum.org[/url] or call the museum at 812-283-3728. The program is scheduled at 3:00 for the benefit of those who wish to ride the BELLE OF LOUISVILLE on her Saturday afternoon excursion, which departs at noon and returns at 2:00, allowing plenty of time to drive over to the museum. For the boat's schedule and other information go to [url]www.belleoflouisville.org[/url]

I will be undergoing some eye surgery on August 10th to correct a focusing problem in my "starboard searchlight". I have to take it easy for a week or so afterward, but certainly plan to be "on deck" in my curatorial post. As always, Judy Patsch, a loyal and life member of the museum, has stepped up and volunteered to assist in whatever way she can and, of course, will be bringing over a cargo of cookies for the refreshment time following Pat's program. Thanks, also, to Travis Vasconcelos and James Hall for their help in setting up the technical equipment for this event. As we all know so well, people on the river are happy to give!

Attached are several images of the MAJESTIC and the towboat ATTABOY during the years they were under charter to Hiram College. The first is a drawing of the boats at the Louisville wharf, done by Dr. Pete Striegel, longtime Howard Museum board member and creator of many fine steamboat and river scenes. The middle view shows her at Sewickley, Pennsylvania in 1953, and the third scene is at Marietta, Ohio in June of 1949.

Hope to see many of you on August 25th when it's "Showboat Time" once again!

"Curator Keith"

David Dewey 07-25-2007 10:39 PM

Y'all are in for a treat! Pat gives a great program, and she's so knowledgeable and fun. Love to be there, but I'm stuck out here in Californey, far, far from brown water (even the creek dried up!).
HI! to Pat and all.
Steamcerely,
David D.
PS Linda says "Hi!" too.

Keith Norrington 07-26-2007 08:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
David, I'm sorry that you and Linda can't join us, but I know you'll be there in spirit. Pat tells me that she's saved some "never before told" stories specifically for this program. So we're all in suspense -- just like a showboat melodrama -- although there will be no hissing or booing!!!

David Dewey 07-26-2007 10:09 PM

It's bad enough I can't be there, y'all insist on posting these amazing photos! Zowies!
Now if I could just find a $99 airfare deal. . . .
S'
David D.

Keith Norrington 07-27-2007 12:19 PM

Pete: Yes, the photo is labeled as being on the Ohio, but I'm not sure of the location. The MAJESTIC didn't often venture out of the Ohio River, but did play at Hickman, Kentucky and a few other towns on the Mississippi.

Come on over on August 25th!

Bela Berty 08-02-2007 01:56 PM

Yes, Keith, Pat does have a good show lined up for the Howard. I know because she sent me a DVD of her photos and film. Please ask her to sell copies of such a DVD at her program and in the museum's gift shop!

Keith Norrington 08-02-2007 02:04 PM

I, too, have a copy of Pat's great DVD with the film footage and photos. Pat plans to augment this wonderful material with firsthand stories of life aboard the last authentic traveling showboat on the river. It's going to be a fun afternoon and I look forward to seeing lots of dot orgers and other buffs and buffettes on deck at the museum!

Bruno Krause 08-02-2007 07:18 PM

The Krause's are starting to pack...I think the the thing that has us so excited about this is meeting so many, hopefully to be, new friends.

Very, VERY excited about this...and seeing Pat, and Pat and Jo Ann, and Barb again...priceless...

Keith Norrington 08-03-2007 07:13 AM

Bruno, I certainly am looking forward to meeting you and Deb. Will this be your first time to visit the Howard Steamboat Museum? If there's time, and you're interested, I'll give you the curator's "behind-the-scenes tour", which includes the attic.

Bruno Krause 08-03-2007 08:15 AM

Keith,

Deb and I will make the time, a wonderful offer, thanks.

And me being interested? I think I am just a bit... ;-)