Steamboats.org Homepage  
  not logged in.
           forgot password?

Looking Back In Time!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Looking Back In Time!

2007 is the 200th Anniversary of Robert Fulton's Steamboat making it's maiden voyage on the North River (Hudson). The Friends of Clermont are celebrating with various events through December. On the weekend of August 18th & 19th.

http://www.friendsofclermont.org/ste...mboatdays.html

As part of this celebration The Friends are encouraging owners of small steamboats to gather for a floating parade and display. One of the boats participating is The Experiment, a 2/3 replica of James Rumsey's steamboat.
It will be coming up from Shepherdstown, WV. I have been working with the Rumseian Group in securing a suitable launch site for their 30 FT boat. I was able to locate a new ramp in Saugerties, NY that meets all of the requirements. As a result of my efforts the Rumseians have invited me to ride in their Experiment on what I have learned will be her last voyage. After the Clermont meet she will be retired. A brief description by Nick Blanton follows:

"The boat is a working replica of James Rumsey's 1787 steamboat. It was built by a bunch of Shepherdstown enthusiasts twenty years ago, for the Rumsey Bicentennial, and this is likely its last run. It seemed like a good end to the project. It's 24 ' at the waterline, has a 1 hp steam engine, and runs by jet propulsion ( pumping water in from underneath, and out the back). It has a speed of about 4 knots, max".

www.jamesrumsey.org

I've attached photos of The Experiment and a 12 ft model of the "Clermont" that was a movie prop for "LITTLE OLD NEW YORK" (circa 1940). It's on loan from a private California collector thru December.

P.R.Baker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rumseian Experiment.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	952   Click image for larger version

Name:	CLERMONT SITE016.sm.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	953   Click image for larger version

Name:	CLERMONT SITE018.sm2.jpg