Message Boards

Message Boards (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/)
-   Steamboats & History (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/)
-   -   Lunkenheimer Whistles (http://www.steamboats.org/forum/steamboats-history/1601-lunkenheimer-whistles.html)

Richard Weisenberger 07-20-2007 11:30 AM

Lunkenheimer Whistles

[url]http://www.lunkenheimercvc.com/cvc_catalogs/CVC-ES-Whistles.PDF[/url]
A well known Cincinnati based company built the whistles used on the Delta, Mississippi and American Queens that we all love. It gives them their distinctive voice. It's a shame Lunkenheimer now no longer offer whistles larger than 6" diameter.

Frank X. Prudent 07-20-2007 11:46 AM

The AMERICAN QUEEN's whistle is a Kahlenberg whistle. Her original whistle was from the HERBERT E. JONES on loan from the West "Bye God" Virginia Jones.

Now, the NATCHEZ has a Lunkenheimer; talk about a whistle!

Richard Weisenberger 07-20-2007 12:01 PM

The last I remember AQ's whistle had a dome top, which means either a Lunkenheimer or Powell, which are both of Cincinnati. I don't see any close up pictures of the whistle on the board anymore, so I can't keep up with any changes that may have been made. Kahlenbergs have flat tops. If they haven't changed it, the General Jackson has a 3 bell chime Kahlenberg.

Yes indeed! The Natchez does have a Lunkenheimer. My family and I were on the Natchez at the last Tall Stacks.

[QUOTE=Frank X. Prudent;6699]The AMERICAN QUEEN's whistle is a Kahlenberg whistle. Her original whistle was from the HERBERT E. JONES on loan from the West "Bye God" Virginia Jones.

Now, the NATCHEZ has a Lunkenheimer; talk about a whistle![/QUOTE]

Frank X. Prudent 07-20-2007 01:06 PM

The AMERICAN QUEEN has only had two whistles that she can call her own, the HERBERT E. JONES' and the Kahlenberg that she sports now. She has never regularly blown a Lunkenheimer whistle nor a Powell Valve Co. whistle.

Richard Weisenberger 07-20-2007 02:44 PM

I would have sworn it had one with a dome top a while back, but I could be wrong. I thought I saw it here on the board. Could it have been a borrowed whistle?

[QUOTE=Frank X. Prudent;6704]The AMERICAN QUEEN has only had two whistles that she can call her own, the HERBERT E. JONES' and the Kahlenberg that she sports now. She has never regularly blown a Lunkenheimer whistle nor a Powell Valve Co. whistle.[/QUOTE]

Richard Weisenberger 07-20-2007 03:09 PM

I just found it under the pictures for the American Queen and you're right; it's definitely not a Lunkenheimer. I could have sworn I saw a picture of it with a Lunk sometime back, but maybe it was on the Mississippi Queen. I'm fairly certain the Delta Queen has always had a Lunk.

I believe the Mississippi Queen once had a 3 bell chime whistle made by the Davis Calliope Works, the same as its calliope. I was on board and took pictures of it in 1976. The problem was that it had undersized inlets and narrow slits which choked the flow, making it underpowered for the main whistle. With new bowls and a larger manifold it could have worked out well. The scale of the bells themselves were fine, similar to a Kahlenberg.

[QUOTE=Frank X. Prudent;6704]The AMERICAN QUEEN has only had two whistles that she can call her own, the HERBERT E. JONES' and the Kahlenberg that she sports now. She has never regularly blown a Lunkenheimer whistle nor a Powell Valve Co. whistle.[/QUOTE]

Frank X. Prudent 07-20-2007 05:14 PM

The DELTA QUEEN did not always have the Lunkenheimer that she blows now. Tom Greene removed that Lunkenheimer and replaced it with the CHRIS GREENE's whistle. I don't know how long the Chris' whistle was on the DQ before her original whistle was put back on. Maybe it was a year or two at most.

Yes, you are right the MQ's original whistle was a three bell affair built by Art Davis. By 1978 it was removed and replaced by the GORDON C. GREENE's whistle. The Cincinnati brass of the Delta Queen Co. didn't think that the old GORDON's whistle looked in keeping with their new steamboat, and the original Davis whistle was returned to it's perch sans one of the bells. The MISSOURI whistle that the MQ wore when she last operated was put on her during 1979.

Judy Patsch 07-20-2007 09:55 PM

Roddy Hammett always said that the NATCHEZ whistle was the only one he knew that could make a grown man cry - there is no way to gently ease into it. I always warn passengers with babies who always seem to pick the seats right below the whistle.

Jim Blum 07-21-2007 04:43 PM

Someone told me years ago that the Whistle on the Roundhouse (possibly the power plant a short distance away) has a Lunkenheimer Whistle "identical" to the Str Delta Queen's. I cannot prove it, I never saw that whistle, nor to my memory ever heard it.

The Lunkenheimer plant was not far away. Can anyone shed any light on this rumor?

Jim Blum 07-21-2007 07:16 PM

from the Cincinnati Union Terminal Roundhouse....sorry 'bout that.